First gear engagement from neutral at a stop. A hard thunk!

Perhaps leaving the transmission in gear is safer at stops? If you need to maneuver quickly to avoid a fast approaching vehicle, you don't have to take the time to shift.

this is what MSF teaches for whatever that's worth. They also preach to be in first by the time you come to a stop. That has actually been built into the most recent driving test to get your endorsement in Indiana. The quick stop test, you are now required to shift up into second then stop as quickly as you can while downshifting. If you are not in first when you come to a stop you lose points. 
same in florida, at the good schools!

not only is it smart so you dont have to worry about those clunks and jingles... it allows you to be safer by having  a quick escape, and getaway in case someone isnt payin attentions.
whenever i come up to a light, i end up in first when i stop, and i immediately set my self up with a quick escape or route to remove myself from a bad situation,  then check behind me for quickly approching vehicles.

if you know your coming up to a long light, or you need to rest your hand, you still need to end up at the stop in first, find your escape route, and wait for the car behind you to stop completely, and then maybe even the car behind them.. you see things in South Florida you wouldn't see in hell.

My SV1000 did it, Daytona 675 did it, Triumph Tiger 800 did it, and now my FJ-09 does it when I shift into first gear. I also heard a Ducati 848 at a stop light that did it. I'm pretty sure it's ok. It never really bothered me.

• Premium Member
My SV1000 did it, Daytona 675 did it, Triumph Tiger 800 did it, and now my FJ-09 does it when I shift into first gear. I also heard a Ducati 848 at a stop light that did it. I'm pretty sure it's ok. It never really bothered me.
It's just the bike letting you know it wants to GO NOW. :-) 
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived