Front rotors "warped" from 30k onwards apparently

On 3/12/2024 at 11:40 PM, ChickenIsMe said:

Located in Australia, I too have never had anything like this flagged on a safety certificate - which in my state is only needed when selling. Kind of adds to the suspicion they are trying for a money grab. Bike is out of warranty now, and they probably dont realise I tend to do all major bike works myself once out of warranty outside of a general service.

So.....dishonest people don't always live in America? Glad you checked yourself, and shame on the tech/techs for trying to pull a fast one on you. 

I had a pulsating on my 2020 Tracer 900GT.  Lots of road miles - less braking and generally don't brake hard but sometime do. Talked to a Galfer rep at the Barber Vintage Festival.  He told me if rotors are warped you will feel a pulsation in the brake lever when braking at speed (not necessarily high speed just not slow speed).  If pulsating or grabbing feeling at low speed then it is something on the rotor.  Mine were particularly bad when almost stopped - could feel part of the rotor was braking harder than other parts or more like there was a lump on the rotor.   Cleaned bobbins - didn't help.  Cleaned rotors with sandpaper and Scotchbrite and if my memory is correct brake cleaner (used gloves).  Swapped out brake pads and it was smooth again.

I bought the bike new and the front brakes always seemed like they needed more force but worked fine.  The pulsating didn't happen until 12,000 or so.  Figure it was something I did or stopped hard to a stop and left the brakes gripping tightly or something.  Not sure what caused it.

• Thumbsup 1