Several Options Installed

s.  
Another note on the hard bags. One lid didn't close like the other one. One of the bags had more of a gap when the lid was closed. The dealer is going to replace it and called me today to see if I still had the box because Yamaha wanted to know the batch number of that bag to make sure no one else got one with issues.. That was a nice touch that they stood behind a small quality control issue. It wasn't that bad and I wouldn't have said anything if both were like that. But since one bag sealed better it was obvious there was an issue with the other one.

I just picked up a set of yamaha hard bags from my closest dealer (I think he had them a while as they were buried in his attic somewhere) and the right one is like yours sounds.  Latches don't hold it close all the way like the other one so a pretty big gap between seal and lip.  I have had a lot of bags and I am sure it would leak. 
I am going to try to get the dealer to exchange it since I never put it on and and I have the original bag and box.

Did your dealer replace your bag and is the new one better?

Also I see what people mean about the side brackets being overkill. Those things weigh like 8 lbs.

Thanks much.

This topic is worthless without pics.
I assume you means pics from the OP. 
I took the drive to the dealer this morning (about an hr) where I bought the bags and showed them the defective bag.

They said to leave the bag.  They will contact Yamaha and see what Yamaha says they are willing to do.  Said either way it would probably be a while.

To be frank I was hoping they would have said they would make it right and the rest was details. 

• 3 weeks later...
I called the dealer where I bought the defective OEM side bag.

I had bought new bags (never installed) and one did not close correctly. I brought it back the next day and they had me leave the bag with them because they say they have to ship it back to yamaha who inspects it, sends them more forms and if replacement is approved then yamaha will ship them a replacement part.

It's been three weeks now and it sounds like it will be at least couple more weeks.

If I had known how long it would take I would have tried to get a refund on the one bag (they are sold separately and I returned it unused in original packaging the next day after purchase) three weeks so I could order a replacement myself. WOuld have had bags on my bike a month earlier.

The dealer says that is what they have to go through with all warranty claims. My argument is that it should not necessarily be a warranty return as I am returning the part unused.

Archived