What's to stop me from making my own Flashtune-style harness

gregman

As the title says.  I have a really difficult time justifying $450 for two plugs, some wiring and a 12v power supply.  I doubt Flashtune can patent the harness, since it's based on the OEM design.  Does anyone have a harness that I can look at?  

Just to be clear, I have no problem paying a reasonable price for the software, and have no intention of violating anyone's patents.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

• Premium Member
As the title says.  I have a really difficult time justifying $450 for two plugs, some wiring and a 12v power supply.  I doubt Flashtune can patent the harness, since it's based on the OEM design.  Does anyone have a harness that I can look at?   
Just to be clear, I have no problem paying a reasonable price for the software, and have no intention of violating anyone's patents.
This will not work for the following reasons: The harness is easy to make I would guess, but there is a chip somewhere in the harness that identifies the serial number.
The software is free to download, but needs to communicate with the Flashtune website using the chip in the harness to verify the $100 license fee has been paid.
You can find the official harness for less than $450.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

The harness wouldn't be that hard to make, but you need to know of some channels to get the proper pins and connectors, which can be hard to track down. The problem is you need to pay for the tune license, which is associated with your individual ECU when it's flashed. You USED to be able to just go around flashing everybody's ECU, but they have wised up an implemented that feature, and there's no way around it. Even companies like 2 Wheel DynoWorks that does TONS of flashing still has to pay for that tune license for every ECU they flash.

This will not work for the following reasons: The harness is easy to make I would guess, but there is a chip somewhere in the harness that identifies the serial number.
The software is free to download, but needs to communicate with the Flashtune website using the chip in the harness to verify the $100 license fee has been paid.

I guess they gotta make their money somehow  B-| 
Looks like they won't be getting my money (I have a very difficult time spending $400 on something I could make myself in a day).
'15 FJ-09

Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

Looks like they won't be getting my money (I have a very difficult time spending $400 on something I could make myself in a day).
Make sure you do a DIY write up when you get done with it.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

And is your experience level good enough to risk blowing up an engine if you screw up the fueling?

In the grand scheme of things in this world, people make money based on experience and a level of trust that they know what they are doing. This can apply to someone who handles your investments, your doctor who you trust with your body, or your technician who knows how to make your motorcycle/car run correctly.

Sure you can buy the parts to communicate with the bike, find the software, troubleshoot why it won't connect or work correctly, and then roll the dice that you have the skill to adjust what needs to be adjusted without the proper measuring equipment to be sure that it's running correctly.

Or you can put your faith in a map that some unknown person uploaded to the web.

I'm just saying there are other factors to consider here then simply making a harness.

-Skip

Or you can put your faith in a map that some unknown person uploaded to the web.  
I'm just saying there are other factors to consider here then simply making a harness.

-Skip

Or put your money towards our site vendor who has DYNO PROOF of the results, not just some bro who thinks they have a cool map on the internet. Plus the flash from our site vendor is LESS than the cost of the harness, and its guaranteed.

And is your experience level good enough to risk blowing up an engine if you screw up the fueling?

In the grand scheme of things in this world, people make money based on experience and a level of trust that they know what they are doing. This can apply to someone who handles your investments, your doctor who you trust with your body, or your technician who knows how to make your motorcycle/car run correctly.

Sure you can buy the parts to communicate with the bike, find the software, troubleshoot why it won't connect or work correctly, and then roll the dice that you have the skill to adjust what needs to be adjusted without the proper measuring equipment to be sure that it's running correctly.

-Skip

I spend my days maintaining airplanes, so I'd say I have a pretty firm grasp of how an internal combustion engine works.  I'm not worried about the maps, or the adjustments, which is why I asked about the harness.  Thanks for your concern, though, I understand most people do not have the technical know-how to make a harness, let alone tune an engine. 
Golden Penguin, the reason I'm leaning towards tuning myself vs sending my ECU to 2WDW is multifold.  One, I ride my FJ every day, and a week or more downtime to ship my ECU from Georgia to Seattle, get it tuned, and then come back, would be pretty inconvenient for me.  Two, I am a tinkerer.  The fueling map is almost the last thing on my list of things to mess with.  I'm more interested in the speed limiters, TC response maps, idle cut, etc.  I have every bit of faith in 2WDW.  I know they are professionals.  I feel like the price they charge is perfectly fair given their expertise.  It's just not the product I'm looking for.
'15 FJ-09

Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

• 2 weeks later...
i was thinking about this but my EE skills are limited. I can follow but not create a wired link / program a chip to interface. What about a Rasberry Pi wired in to read/write the ECU? Seems like its just a language issue once you know which pins to wire to. I feel sure that the dyno guys in Seattle know more than I do. And I may stioll ride up ther one day and get a flash, be cool to be able to fart with the simpler settings on my own though.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

The actual tuning part isn't as difficult at many make it out to be. If you can track air/fuel ratios it isn't that difficult. I used to tune my WRX in the street using a wide band O2 sensor. I had it very well dialed in with a few passes. When I finally got the car "dyno tuned" it was obvious I didn't leave much HP on the table so to speak and was definitely a "safe" tune.

I too would like the ability to tinker a bit with the tune rather than sending it out each time for a flash. I would like a REALLY detuned version for when other people ride my bikes. Or where really heavy rain it is nice to have a super "soft" and low HP mode.

Archived