Keis heated waistcoat & insoles

• Premium Member
Mine, all mine. The heated gilet, not the nice young man sadly.

keis-x10-bodywarmer-model-300x300.jpg

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/keis-x10-heated-bodywarmer/

£99 at Cheltenham branch of Helmet City if you ask Steve or Jay to price match Sportsbikeshop. Not stocked in all branches as each franchise has some autonomy with stock. Comes with the 3 setting controller and is easy to wire directly to the battery or attach a plug to run of a 12V socket. Uses 1.5A so won't blow the 2A fuse fitted to the MT09 socket.

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/find-a-store/ has a list of distributors - none in N.America, yet. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

... not the nice young man sadly.
Better luck next time.

You indicated that it could be used with either the 12V socket or directly to the battery. How did you wire it?

• Premium Member
I used the supplied harness direct to the battery - wish people would fit U shaped crimps rather than rings, or that Yamaha didn't use a loose nut on the earth terminal. Fortunately someone else had pointed this out and I was prepared and had no snags.

The controller fits in series - they provide a loop in a pocket at the waist band for you to insert the controller into.

I'm experimenting with the best way to have the lead come out from under the seat.

They supply extra fuses so that if you plug gloves or shoe insoles into the jacket you can increase the size of the fuse. A nice touch and ensures you have the lowest value fuse needed for the application.

It certainly gets warm. I'm glad it came with the controller as at full current my kidneys are in danger of broiling. At the lowest of the three settings all was comfy today, but it had only dropped to 13C ambient but a fierce crosswind brought the windchill down. The keep your core temperature up really does make a difference to your peripheral bits. I didn't need the heated grips on today inside the muffs.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Oh, and you can run it off a battery pack if you want to use it on the golf course, angling etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I have now added a 4A fuse to the lead coming from the battery and plugged in a set of heated insoles. I zip tied the insole wiring in between the outer Cordura and inner thinsulate layer. The lead then plugs into an outlet on the waistcoat.

I went for a ride of 40 miles and I can say the combination of heated waistcoat and insoles keeps me very toasty. Can't wait for the trip with @johan to the Ardennes & Eiffel regions (border area France, Luxembourg, Belgium & Germany) at Easter.

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/keis-x300-heated-insoles/

keis-x300-heated-insoles.jpg

• Premium Member
I have now added a 4A fuse to the lead coming from the battery and plugged in a set of heated insoles. I zip tied the insole wiring in between the outer Cordura and inner thinsulate layer. The lead then plugs into an outlet on the waistcoat.  
I went for a ride of 40 miles and I can say the combination of heated waistcoat and insoles keeps me very toasty. Can't wait for the trip with @johan to the Ardennes & Eiffel regions (border area France, Luxembourg, Belgium & Germany) at Easter.

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/keis-x300-heated-insoles/

keis-x300-heated-insoles.jpg

Keis, or Gerbing?

• Premium Member
Keis or Gerbing?

Ask our travelling partner to Clervaux and he will insist Gerbing is worth the premium price. I'm happy with the Keis gear but of course it is new. Ask me next winter about its durability

I have used keis jacket and glove inners for two yrs with no isses 4 heat settins on the jacket and heats up quickly and with having heating pads front, back and neck its toasty all over and the tracer seems to be able to manage jacket gloves or heated grips spot lights and sat nav running the out put at tickover remains 14 volts so no worries there

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Eiffel trip now complete - lots of weather, not all of which was pleasant. Some heavy rain, strong winds and cold could have made the trip miserable. A combination of this Keis gear, heated grips, bar muffs and top quality clothing with real Goretex ensured I remained warm & dry in the >900 miles.

We had some warmer days and pleasant sunshine so a simple switch of the controller to off saved the faff of removing a layer as would have been the case in previous years.

I have the insoles & jacked plugged in parallel to the same controller which is connected directly to the battery via a 4A fuse. I am quite impressed how so much heat can be generated from so few watts. I only run the clothing from the lowest of three settings - with a maximum of 48 watts available on the top setting, perhaps I am kept warm with around 20 watts?

Archived