• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rad guard fitting

jez

Just had a rad guard delivered today, this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391342252570?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It has a fixing on top and one on each side. Seems that the side covers have to come off to fit it, but i cant figure out how to remove them. Dont wanna break anything with my limited hamfisted skills.
Any help, pics, vids that can be linked to would be appreciated.

• Premium Member
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391342252570?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It has a fixing on top and one on each side. Seems that the side covers have to come off to fit it, but i cant figure out how to remove them. Dont wanna break anything with my limited hamfisted skills.

It takes a 4mm hex wrench, and you have 2 fasteners/bolts on the front edge of the panels, and one on the back edge underneath toward the tank. If you look at where the side stripes on the panels end, it is just to the inside of them. After you undo the bolts, lift the panel straight up along the side of the bike about 3 inches and it should come free. No need to disconnect the turn signals, you can mount the guard without disturbing them, just let the panels hang from the wires. Easy peasy! EDIT: Forgot about the grommet-pull the panel out a bit at the top to disengage the grommet, then lift up. 

It takes a 4mm hex wrench, and you have 2 fasteners/bolts on the front edge of the panels, and one on the back edge underneath toward the tank. If you look at where the side stripes on the panels end, it is just to the inside of them. After you undo the bolts, lift the panel straight up along the side of the bike about 3 inches and it should come free. No need to disconnect the turn signals, you can mount the guard without disturbing them, just let the panels hang from the wires. Easy peasy! 

I disconnected the indicators anyway, just to get the panels outta the way so they didn't get scratched. There's also an inner panel that i had to remove a single plastic push rivit, so this inner panel could be moved temporarily out for the rad cover to sit against the rad.

I had to remove the side panels, blinkers and the inner panel to fit the standard Yamaha Radiator guard.
IMO, looks pretty good better than some of the after market ones I'd seen on the net.

Money well spent.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived