Ninja Gone, welcome FJ

tex929rr

I purchased a Ninja 1000 ABS with factory bags in 2012 for longer trips (we own some other sport bikes).  I really, really enjoyed that bike but it started to eat up its transmission.  I briefly considered another Ninja, but the FJ was a better deal and had three things I always wished the Ninja had:  factory top case (on the Ninja you can mount factory bags or the top case, but not together), a centerstand, and traction control.

So far my first real ride was great - I just have to get used to sitting up so high and straight.  Sure is nice not to have to bend my knees so much.

• 2 weeks later...
BTW, here is the rest of our fleet.
08 GSXR 750 - pretty much my wife's bike now, the Ninja that ate its transmission, and my 09 R1.
b82ee24bec62f26c34c264b044f84c53_zpsnwcgqx40.jpg
And our RC30 and Mille R.  I am pretty sure my RC30 has the world mileage record.  Purchased new in 1991 and has 48K miles on it.
cf3e03dd7a2408fdd51dbc9cf3aa1fbf_zpslevjlbvt.jpg

Man, it's a real shame you don't have any nice bikes to ride, I grieve for you.....NOT!! Wow, what a stable, color me green with envy! I did have, at one point in my MC life, 14 bikes in my stable. And it woulda been 15 had not SWMBO put her foot down...

PS: That RC-30 is the corker, you are a fortunate man indeed!!

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

48k miles on an RC30... You, my friend, know how to live. 

Thanks - I didn't set out that way - I remember telling my wife I'd keep the miles low and try to keep the value up. But the value is still pretty good and I intend to kept it until I can't ride it any more. I'm 58 so I hope that is for a lot longer.

i had an online discussion about collectibles with some friends, one of whom owns an original NSX that he drives as much as he wants. I think collectibles that just sit inside are a shame. They are vehicles, made to be ridden and driven. We also did some calculation and with a few exceptions, keeping miles off of collectible vehicles is not a good financial strategy - you might as well enjoy them as intended.

>> We also did some calculation and with a few exceptions, keeping miles off of collectible vehicles is not a good financial strategy - you might as well enjoy them as intended.<<

Damn straight! Ride 'em like ya stole 'em, just don't roll 'em....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
I used to own a 1987 FZR750 as my only motorcycle (1 of 200 in US). I loved riding it, but I always fussed over it and felt I was wasting a collectible bike on daily commuting. I sold it to a friend who could keep it as a second bike, and I bought a beat up old BMW for commuting.

I rode that FZR, yes, but for some strange reason I always felt guilty about it.

Archived