New guy from So Cal

xlxr

The first motorcycle I rode was a Briggs and Stratten minibike in mid 1960's.  Honda 350 in high school, rode/raced dirt bikes for nearly 20 years, got too old for that.  I have had a couple different street bikes, and I have had a Harley Davidson Roadster since 2006.   Tinnitus, ringing in my ears got so bad I can't ride it any more.  Last night I stopped by the Yamaha dealer and saw a red 2015  FJ 09 sitting there.  I did not know the bike even existed, but it just looked right, test rode it, read a few internet reviews waiting on the salesman, bought it, and rode the long way home, 100 miles instead of 5.

Needless to say, I really really like the FJ 09.  But there are a few things that need fixing.  I am 6[span]' 3" and need a different windshield.  I will probably move the seat to the high position and add my Air Hawke cushion on top of that.  The buffeting was so bad that I just took off the windshield for now. I am not sure if I should go with a really tall windshield, or go low and cut the stock windshield in half.   I think there is a company that can make custom windshields, but I cannot remember who they were.   Any suggestions?

Next issue is suspension, I weigh 250 lbs, experienced rider, and have had custom suspension on all my bikes. I haven't even looked at rider sag or rebound settings yet, but it was just a bit too stiff over small bumps/road hash.   I did not feel it bottom out, even through I tried some fairly large bumps/small jumps.   But I did not try the plastic tie on the fork or shock shaft yet.  Do these forks/shocks have a built in hydraulic anti-bottoming circuit?  Or maybe just really good rubber bumpers?

Who makes the best suspension upgrades?  Ohlins, Penske, Cogent, any other recommendations?

Anyone use electronic noise supression ear plugs?  I have read mixed reviews about the Bose pair, but I am going to have to get the noise down even more to be able to ride longer distances.
[/span]

• Premium Member
The first motorcycle I rode was a Briggs and Stratten minibike in mid 1960's.  Honda 350 in high school, rode/raced dirt bikes for nearly 20 years, got too old for that.  I have had a couple different street bikes, and I have had a Harley Davidson Roadster since 2006.   Tinnitus, ringing in my ears got so bad I can't ride it any more.  Last night I stopped by the Yamaha dealer and saw a red 2015  FJ 09 sitting there.  I did not know the bike even existed, but it just looked right, test rode it, read a few internet reviews waiting on the salesman, bought it, and rode the long way home, 100 miles instead of 5. 
Needless to say, I really really like the FJ 09.  But there are a few things that need fixing.  I am 6[span]' 3" and need a different windshield.  I will probably move the seat to the high position and add my Air Hawke cushion on top of that.  The buffeting was so bad that I just took off the windshield for now. I am not sure if I should go with a really tall windshield, or go low and cut the stock windshield in half.   I think there is a company that can make custom windshields, but I cannot remember who they were.   Any suggestions?

Next issue is suspension, I weigh 250 lbs, experienced rider, and have had custom suspension on all my bikes. I haven't even looked at rider sag or rebound settings yet, but it was just a bit too stiff over small bumps/road hash.   I did not feel it bottom out, even through I tried some fairly large bumps/small jumps.   But I did not try the plastic tie on the fork or shock shaft yet.  Do these forks/shocks have a built in hydraulic anti-bottoming circuit?  Or maybe just really good rubber bumpers?

Who makes the best suspension upgrades?  Ohlins, Penske, Cogent, any other recommendations?

Anyone use electronic noise supression ear plugs?  I have read mixed reviews about the Bose pair, but I am going to have to get the noise down even more to be able to ride longer distances.
[/span]
Welcome, and go up to the "Recent Threads" in the activity bar at the top of the page and check them out. Loads of reviews and opinions on here about everything you have mentioned. I'm 6'4" and weigh 250, with a 32" inseam. I chose the Madstad 22" screen because I like to ride in all conditions and arrive at my destination not beat to death by the wind. Also chose a Corbin saddle because it is comfortable. I also did the Traxxion Dynamics AK20, Penske 8900 series shock mods. I'm very pleased with all of the mods, but there are other alternatives here also. Just root around a bit, and you will find most of your questions answered.  

The first motorcycle I rode was a Briggs and Stratten minibike in mid 1960's.... 
I am 6[span]' 3" and need a different windshield.  I will probably move the seat to the high position and add my Air Hawke cushion on top of that.  The buffeting was so bad that I just took off the windshield for now. I am not sure if I should go with a really tall windshield, or go low and cut the stock windshield in half.   I think there is a company that can make custom windshields, but I cannot remember who they were.   Any suggestions?

[/span]
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.  
Being in CA, you may end up with two windshields. Lower for spring, summer, fall and higher for winter. Click the "search" up in the tool bar and type in windshields. Lots of posts on different models available that will help your decisions.

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Archived