OEM bag mounting question

bgigharbor

My second stupid question of the day: (earlier today I had one when I installed my heated grips)

I am installing my OEM saddle bag mounts and on the right side when I put the rear brake reservoir mount between the new bracket and the frame it seems like the mount is not quite in the right spot to allow the bag pin to raise in the slot.

Before I screw with it much more, I want to make sure the reservoir mount does indeed go between the new heavy bracket and the frame. The include sheet is hard to read (and I can be easily confused anyway)

On a side note I was trying to mount the bags without the rear peg brackets although I don't think that is relevant.

Thanks, Bill

• Premium Member
Before I screw with it much more, I want to make sure the reservoir mount does indeed go between the new heavy bracket and the frame. The include sheet is hard to read (and I can be easily confused anyway)
Thanks, Bill

That's correct Bill. The reservoir mount does go between the bag mount bracket and frame. Let me know if you'd like to me to take any more pictures. 
IMG_0791.JPG
Don't forget, the rubber bumpers have a top and bottom as it's slightly tapered. Wider part is on the bottom. Glue them on with Super Glue Gel (Cyanoacrylate).

IMG_0367.JPG
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Before I screw with it much more, I want to make sure the reservoir mount does indeed go between the new heavy bracket and the frame. The include sheet is hard to read (and I can be easily confused anyway) Thanks, Bill

That's correct Bill. The reservoir mount does go between the bag mount bracket and frame. Let me know if you'd like to me to take any more pictures. 
IMG_0791.JPG
Don't forget, the rubber bumpers have a top and bottom as it's slightly tapered. Wider part is on the bottom. Glue them on with Super Glue Gel (Cyanoacrylate).

IMG_0367.JPG
Thanks Clint. I figured that is how it must go but no matter how much I loosen up stuff and try to realign I haven't yet been able to get the right bracket in the spot to allow the bag pin to raise up into the slot. I think the bracket just needs to be in just alittle more.  

> [img]
[/img]

• Premium Member
Thanks Clint. I figured that is how it must go but no matter how much I loosen up stuff and try to realign I haven't yet been able to get the right bracket in the spot to allow the bag pin to raise up into the slot. I think the bracket just needs to be in just alittle more. [/img]

You're not the first to experience that. Things actually line-up better if you add the rear rack. What if you help guide the bag pin into the slot with your left hand as you close the lever? I saw just a couple of days ago where someone actually trimmed down that leading edge of the pin.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Mine is pin is about 3/16 away from the slot so I would be afraid if I got it in the slot it might actually damage the pin and I'd be really screwed.

I might try shimming the top of the bracket to see if I can tip it down enough to line up enough to fit.

Anyone else have this problem that solved it without modding the bag? 

I also experienced it being a little more difficult to latch the right side but mine did fit (tight). Funny today I installed the rear rack and it comes with some spacers that I just didn't think would even allow the bags to fit on. Well... I guess yamaha does know what they are doing after all (who knew??). After adding the rear rack both sides seemed to latch on with ease. Strange I went from "no way the bags are going to fit back on" to "wow that was easy and they fit so nice".

Archived