DIY Windscreen for Givi Mount

As it has been beat to death already I have not covered any of the construction. 

I have the Givi 2122DT windscreen. It is enormous. It is also wonderful in the cold wet months. It also has a special mount that is a PITA to remove. At least for me, I'm lazy. SO I wanted a summer screen that was easy top switch with the Givi monster. Finally this windscreen does not exist on the market today.

So I made one. $5 acrylic sheet from Home Depot. $2 in grommets and rubber washers from Aboy. Total = $7. So when I ask what you think, keep that in mind. I am thinking the bottom is to long but I want to test ride it and its probably gonna be a few days before I go riding again.

$7 windscreen, what do you think?

I23uJw7.jpg?2

Xuk5h1s.jpg?1

tPpYn0s.jpg?1

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Very cool idea, and one that has me thinking. How thick is that sheet you bought? Looks thinner than 1/4" ?

I was reading up on cutting, heating & bending acrylic plexiglass on the interwebs, I might try making myself a smaller summertime flyscreen for cheap. I'd like to heat & curve it a little bit so it's not board-flat, purely for aesthetics.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Very cool idea, and one that has me thinking. How thick is that sheet you bought? Looks thinner than 1/4" ? 
I was reading up on cutting, heating & bending acrylic plexiglass on the interwebs, I might try making myself a smaller summertime flyscreen for cheap. I'd like to heat & curve it a little bit so it's not board-flat, purely for aesthetics.
Just FYI - 
From: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html#Windshield

"Acrylic is only about 3% as impact resistant as polycarbonate. Normal acrylic shatters upon impact, and therefore is considered an unsafe material for windshields. Acrylic is very chemically resistant, and is more transparent than glass - glass absorbs about half again as much light as acrylic does. Acrylic forms easily at high temperatures, about 300°. However, machining acrylic at room temperature is difficult. It's not very easy to cut acrylic with a saw or drill holes in acrylic without shattering or weakening the material.

We use a special high cost acrylic called Impact Modified Acrylic. This form of acrylic is DOT approved for windshields. We use only DOT certified impact resistant plastics to make Calsci windshields. Our windshields will not shatter if hit by a rock. We test our windshields by shooting them with a .22 caliber rifle and verifying that the windshield maintains its basic integrity without shedding small pieces that could impact your face or eyes. No windshield can protect you against everything, but we do our best to make certain that our windshields protect you against the small rocks frequently thrown up by other vehicle's tires.

• Premium Member
Great info but TBH totally not a factor. As far as I'm concerned the windscreen is not a windshield, I never ride with anything less than a full-face helmet, and this idea is purely for looks (and summer airflow), not protection. :)

Great info but TBH totally not a factor. As far as I'm concerned the windscreen is not a windshield, I never ride with anything less than a full-face helmet, and this idea is purely for looks (and summer airflow), not protection. :)
"acrylic shatters upon impact" 
I remember when baseball catchers wore a full face mask, and Steve Yeager took the sharp end of a broken bat in his neck.  Now they wear a protective flap.  I sometimes ride with my face shield open.  Just be careful, you never know.

I wish I could claim it was my own idea but it's not. This has been done many times. I believe I got 1/8 inch. Its just about getting some flow upwards. Not much protection at all.

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I wish I could claim it was my own idea but it's not. This has been done many times. I believe I got 1/8 inch. Its just about getting some flow upwards. Not much protection at all.
Oh cool, 1/8" is even more budget-friendly! And should be easier to heat/bend/shape. I'm not looking for protection, just minor deflection and a reduction in buffeting for summer riding. TBH more airflow into the helmet would be welcome for the hot summer months here in Virginia.

are you using the Givi screen/mount like I am? I found it very easy to work. And its so lox that should it arck it will just stab me in the gut instead of the chest. Lotsa padding there.

Acrylic v Polycarbonate, check out use #1:

http://www.hydrosight.com/acrylic-vs-polycarbonate-a-quantitative-and-qualitative-comparison/

it appears after all this that I did indeed use polycarb:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Glass-Plastic-Sheets-Polycarbonate-Sheets/N-5yc1vZc9ws?browsestoreoption=1

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
are you using the Givi screen/mount like I am? I found it very easy to work. And its so lox that should it arck it will just stab me in the gut instead of the chest. Lotsa padding there. 
Acrylic v Polycarbonate, check out use #1:

http://www.hydrosight.com/acrylic-vs-polycarbonate-a-quantitative-and-qualitative-comparison/

No, just the OEM mount.

You asked for opinion on how it looks....

My 2 cents, I'd angle the bottom corners to be in line with the contour of the front - other than that it looks fine.
And since you've covered off the safety and purpose fit for you, you should be happy with it.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I agree. I just couldn't bring myself to take it off again. I just ordered a 12x12 piece of polycarb and will make another even shorter as this was 11x14. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be.

You asked for opinion on how it looks....  
My 2 cents, I'd angle the bottom corners to be in line with the contour of the front - other than that it looks fine.
And since you've covered off the safety and purpose fit for you, you should be happy with it.

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived