FYI about ECU error codes

papac2000

Found out an interesting feature of our bikes. Perhaps this isn't news to some, but I found it interesting and useful. I have been riding my new FJ on the dyno (rolling road) for some 26km now to break it in while the snow falls outside. After disabling the traction control and riding away, the ABS light illuminated. This was not surprising to me...but a short while later, the check engine light also came on. The engine ran perfect, but I didn't want to chance any damage so I shut it down to cool. Following the cool down, I turned on ignition power and noted the menu was no longer accessible. The right display panel showed "069" in the middle of the 3 panes. After some poking on Google, I stumbled on a thread from the FJR forum that listed trouble codes. Code 069 is defined as "no signal from front wheel sensor". So in essence, there are built in diagnostics on the bike so we can have an idea what's up without connecting to a special dealer tool. Cool! Once I saw that I was confident I could run the bike more and the code will dissappear once both wheels are running down the road. Gawd I love this bike.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I am also supposing that if there were multiple codes they would occupy the other spaces in the display...and if more than 3 existed (parish the thought) you might be able to scroll down them with the menu arrows.
Also of note...once you start the bike, normal display functions return...so ignition on, engine off is when codes appear
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

No numbers yet. The plan is to run it in a bit more today and do some power pulls tomorrow afternoon. Will surely post results!
2015 Matte Grey

Very cool...  will be interested to see those numbers. 
Are you starting a contest to predict who can come the closest to guessing correctly?  LOL.

I'll guess 106.7 hp and 63.8 ft/lbs torque.
I'm in: 104 HP and 62 ft/lb. 
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

This could be fun. I won't weigh in with a guess since I'm operating the machine. We should however expect it will mirror the FZ numbers various magazines have published. It will be interesting to see if the shape of the curve is different from the FZ to better suit this bike's intentions.
2015 Matte Grey

This could be fun. I won't weigh in with a guess since I'm operating the machine. We should however expect it will mirror the FZ numbers various magazines have published. It will be interesting to see if the shape of the curve is different from the FZ to better suit this bike's intentions.
Hmm.  Should we perhaps know which type/brand of dyno you are using?  IIRC, there are 2 main types of dyno, and they tend to read different HP and torque numbers. 
I'm MOST interested in learning any HP/torque differences between 2015 FZ-09 and the FJ-09.  And if the HP/torque curves are different...

The dyno in question is a Mustang MD 1100 SE. After operating it for 8yrs I have found that for cars there is a distinct difference between it and a Dynojet. With bikes, we find that since so much less simulated mass (that requires an eddy current to produce ) is involved, that the numbers seem to be right in line with an inertia only model. In any case I will provide uncorrected numbers (raw measured) along with the corrected number for comparison. I plan to do A and B modes.
2015 Matte Grey

The dyno in question is a Mustang MD 1100 SE. After operating it for 8yrs I have found that for cars there is a distinct difference between it and a Dynojet. With bikes, we find that since so much less simulated mass (that requires an eddy current to produce ) is involved, that the numbers seem to be right in line with an inertia only model. In any case I will provide uncorrected numbers (raw measured) along with the corrected number for comparison. I plan to do A and B modes.
Why not do STD mode?  Isn't that the mode that most will ride?  Or maybe not. 
Why not do all three?

I suppose we should do the 3 modes. I understood that the difference between A and STD mode was throttle response, but we shall see. I expect the same output for them.
2015 Matte Grey

Archived