Another couple of questions for those with a Factory Service

On the fork(s), what is the listed fork oil weight (I know left fork does nothing to contribute to damping)? If it's 10 weight, has anyone tried 5 weight? It makes a difference with many bikes on the roughness of cheaper  compression circuits and there appears to be plenty of rebound control & adjustment in the FJ to handle a 5 weight.And what is the oil level they list as stock?Thank you. My source for all stuff Yamaha is on Vacation 'til the end of next week.

• Premium Member
someone asked this on Facebook yesterday - this is from the factory workshop manual

Yamaha Suspension oil 01 - 444cc left, 431cc right

http://www.spectro-oils.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Shock-Fork-Fluids-comparison.pdf says Yamaha 01 is not much different to what we call 5W oil, with 5w a bit thicker.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks. It would make sense that the left fork with no damping devices in it would list a larger quantity of oil as there are less parts to displace the oil & effect the oil level. What you listed is quantities of oil. Does the Manual give an oil level (with fork & its internals compressed and the springs out)? Most (modern) manuals do. 

• Premium Member
you are getting a bit technical for me - someone with a clue will be along later but you could buy your own copy in the meantime...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived