FJR Side Cases

So, I bought a set of used FJR side cases.  I ordered the side stays, locks (didn't have any) and the rubber mounts (for the side stays...why don't these just COME with the side stays??).  Anyway, I went to install the locks tonight and THAT'S when I noticed that the lock plate (piece that turns when you turn the key) was turning into the handle, but that was it.  It appears that both cases don't have the plastic under the handle that the lock plate turns in to.  Not sure i'm making any sense.  I can't lock the cases...

So, is there anyway to replace the lever piece (that the lock goes into) or the plastic plate underneath it?  Or some way to MacGyver something up?  Thoughts?  Opinions?  Questions?  Answers?  Thanks...

I'm hoping no one has responded because they don't know what I'm talking about.  Here is a picture:

IMG_20160605_211407%201_zpsboft7tjn.jpg

The locking mechanism is broken...can this waffle-looking piece be replaced?

You can drill out the rivets and buy a new plastic waffle piece and rivet it back together.
But if I was you I would get rid of them and get something else. I have the fjr cases which are new and have had problems since day one. The latch that you open the case with can become stuck and hold your stuff inside hostage. I had to return one case and get a replace and now both are hard to open. I have tried everything with lub and grease.
Just a fyi.

The mechanism is not available as a separate part, so drilling out the rivets and installing a "new" latch is out of the question. I think you may be able to fab a metal tab and rivet or bolt it into place and that should get you by. I will have to look at mine to see the shape and direction. You may need to dremel a few bits of the old mount out to get a flat mounting surface but it looks doable.

Well, I went out and took a peek at mine. That would be an easy fix. I would dremel the old mount off right at the red mark in this photo...

Fix_zpsiwijvntw.jpg
Then I would go with a piece of aluminum stock and mill down the stock to the thickness of the piece you dremeled out EXCEPT in the area that the old latch arm was before it left the scene. That piece is raised by about 3/8" or so with a little notch in the corner to allow the latch to swing past. The new piece should be milled the same shape as the old piece as it needs to clear the tab on the handle when it is dropped down to lock the bag. As for fasteners, I would go with recessed screws and have them finish flush with the surface of the new mount at the green dots. The metal tab needs to swing pretty flush with the surface so rivets would not be a good choice. The dark spot in your pic is where the screw in the bottom of the latch sits, a little recess should be milled at that location. A couple of acorn nuts on the inside with a dab of Loctite on the screws and you should be good to go!

Archived