couple of questions - 12v /gps/ fuse ??

madsquabbles

T- minus 2 weeks until cross country adventure on the fj.  Running a gps that will be powered from a battery tender lead to 12v plug adapter.  Any reason why I shouldn't run it that way?  Also for those who have blown fuses in the stock 12v plug what else will stop working if that one blows?  I am running gps from battery tender lead from battery but will considering occasional use of stock 12v for phone charge. 

Hi the two amp fuse only covers that outlet and no other system will be affected , I upped the fuse rating to 3.5 amp as I had my tom tom on that outlet and for some reason blew twice , I had the system checked over and no fault found and since I upped the fuse I have had now other issues in 6000 miles , taking power straight off the battery is fine until you forget to unplug or swith off , don't forget you have the wiring on the other side which is used for the second power outlet as a accessories socket, this is ignition dependent
Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I run my Garmin Zumo and 0.5A USB phone charger through the standard outlet - the phone charger unit has a pass through socket to take the Zumo cradle's plug. No problems with the fuse blowing.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived