Factory Heated Grips Stopped Working - Broken Wire!

I installed heated grips on both my and my wife's bike during fall of 2015 at about 5200 miles showing.  Yesterday, at 9640 miles, they stopped working.  Routine troubleshooting showed a broken wire roughly 10mm outside the throttle side grip, which is neither a good spot to repair, nor a place where any repair would be reliable.  Taking a different tack than the typical call to customer service, I went through FaceBook and wrote Yamaha a detailed private message on the issue.  I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.  FB Messenger said they normally respond within an hour.  I took photos, but since I'm too cheap to become a premium member, I can't post them.

without pics I can only guess. but was the wire anchored to the grip in a lazy loop and then to the handlebar with generous allowance so that rotating the grip resulted in very little movement of the wire itself? I also wonder if yamaha shouldn't put a molded-in stress relief onto the grip interface (think good audio cables).

• Premium Member
without pics I can only guess. but was the wire anchored to the grip in a lazy loop and then to the handlebar with generous allowance so that rotating the grip resulted in very little movement of the wire itself? I also wonder if yamaha shouldn't put a molded-in stress relief onto the grip interface (think good audio cables).
also, was the routing correct so that the wire was not under tension on full lock
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Well, the grips were installed correctly, had the tension relief loop, etc. I installed both sets at the same time using my bike as the guinea pig (I always install accessories on my bike first to work out the kinks, so to speak, before I fit my wife's bike). The install on her bike went smoothly as did mine, but we hadn't used the grips since last February as we live in a desert and don't need them often.

Anyway, my FB PM worked. I was contacted by whomever at Yamaha monitors such activity within an hour of my initial message and was assigned an SR# and was directed to the customer service phone number. I called immediately and was greeted by a nice CSR who took some information (VIN, contact info, etc) and was then re-routed to the product support person who handles grip gripes.

I wasn't looking for a handout since there could have very well been something that I inadvertently did that may have caused the wire to separate, but I expressed my concern that a product such as heated grips better have a life expectancy of more than 4,400 miles. He agreed, and tried to source a single throttle-side grip, but to no avail. Since I had received and installed the grips in September 2015, the warranty had expired and he couldn't simply write another set off under warranty, so a compromise was reached. Mr. Yamaha will pay 50% and I will pay 50% for a new-in-the-box set, even though I only need the right-side grip.

Not exactly the best outcome, but the alternative was to buy another set for full price.

I used to have a photo bucket and imgur account, but never used them enough to justify keeping them.

• 1 month later...
Just so it's on here for reference:

Left heated grip 1MC-82963-00-00

Right heated grip 1MC-82960-00-00

Nice to know the grips can be ordered separately, independent of the whole kit.

The least expensive price I have found is from Yamaha of Cucamonga (yocracing.com) the right grip is $110USD.  The left grip is $94.

I don't know why, but Mr. Yamaha's product support people sent me a very nice letter and an in-store credit for $200!  Overall, a very pleasant experience with the Yamaha peeps.  

Ordered the new grip and installed. 

• 1 year later...
Just so it's on here for reference: 
Left heated grip 1MC-82963-00-00

Right heated grip 1MC-82960-00-00

Nice to know the grips can be ordered separately, independent of the whole kit.

The least expensive price I have found is from Yamaha of Cucamonga (yocracing.com) the right grip is $110USD.  The left grip is $94.

I don't know why, but Mr. Yamaha's product support people sent me a very nice letter and an in-store credit for $200!  Overall, a very pleasant experience with the Yamaha peeps.  

Ordered the new grip and installed. 

----------------------------------------

Hi , i've got the same problem ...
my right grip as failed within a year or so .
The cable hasn't been installed correctly by the shop and rubbed against the housing.

So now i want to replace the right grip only on my fj09 2015,
the part number # 1MC-82960-00-00 is for an fjr1300 , are you really sure it fit on the fj09 ?

Thanks a lot
Sam

Archived