How To: Install Mosko Moto Soft Luggage on FJ-09

shigeta

31536163384_2dc3121358_b.jpg

Hey FJ'ers! 

I wanted to do a short write up on how I was able to mount my secondhand Mosko Moto Scout 25L soft luggage on my '15 FJ-09 with Givi PL2122CAM racks. 

Unfortunately, the install wasn't a direct bolt-on, but the modifications are easy enough. More importantly, all of the modifications I made during the install are reversible.

The only tool you'll need outside of normal allen wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. is a hacksaw. The only materials you'll need is a plastic cutting board or a sheet of thick plastic or wood as a spacer and some 4 bolts to replace some that came on the PL2122CAM racks. I'll get more into that in a minute... 

First, I installed the Givi PL2122CAM racks on the bike. I unbolted the standoffs on the bottom of the racks as well as the silver "Givi" bracket along the top of the racks. The end result should look like the picture below.  

Oh, see those two black allen flat head bolts at the top of the rack? Go to your hardware store and replace those with button head allen bolts in the same pitch and length. You'll need 4 total. 

32258765301_6d36e7a5cb_c.jpg

There is another thread on this forum that details the installation of the PL2122CAM racks on the FJ with the factory luggage rack, but it was far more intensive than I had to do for my install. I took some spacers that came with the racks and used it to allow the Givi racks to clear the tubes of the factory luggage rack. 

32001422050_8e3d91913f_c.jpg

Remember those bolts you replaced with button head bolts? Those don't get in the way of the install of the mounting bracket, but they interfere with the mounting plate on the bags themselves. Basically, the goal is to space the Mosko mounting plates from the luggage racks about 10mm. See red circles: 

32001424180_00df037aa1_c.jpg

I was in a rush to install these racks for a trip, so my solution—while a bit messy—works brilliantly. I used a black plastic cutting board that I bought from Target for $13 or so. I cut it to size to fit the width and height of the mounting clamps.  See outlined in red.

31536172944_26159abfa0_c.jpg   

31536166714_6dfe644259_c.jpg

The bags are fantastic and I couldn't be happier with them. They performed flawlessly and didn't skip a beat on a 2,500 mile trip around the Southwest/West Coast this holiday season. I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting, so please let me know if you guys have any questions!  

You can find all high-res photos on my Flickr

31945803822_ae4948724d_c.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hey there,

I saw this thread a while back, saved that last picture of your bike and have been looking at doing a similar setup on mine. I came back here to try and find your username to PM you and ask about it, but here you have it all laid out for me - so thanks for that!

Do you happen to know the difference between the PL2122 and the PL2122CAM racks? They both claim to fit the FJ-09, and I can get the former for about $60 less, so I'm wondering if there is a specific reason you needed the model with the CAM designation? I have an Amazon/Aliexpress rear rack on mine which looks to have a nearly identical mounting system to yours, if that makes any difference. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you happen to know the difference between the PL2122 and the PL2122CAM racks? They both claim to fit the FJ-09, and I can get the former for about $60 less, so I'm wondering if there is a specific reason you needed the model with the CAM designation? I have an Amazon/Aliexpress rear rack on mine which looks to have a nearly identical mounting system to yours, if that makes any difference. Thanks.

It looks to me as if the PL2122 have an offset design that would not allow the Mosko bags to be mounted. 

See here:
 large_Plaines_baseis_balitswn_PLXR_Givi_Yamaha_MT-09_Tracer_01.jpg

• 2 years later...