• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

90 degree air chuck

exploring/carolina

• Premium Member
Reading on another forum about a 90 degree chuck available at NAPA. Picked this one up at NAPA for $15 and it works great! Own more than one motorcycle, the following photo shows one of my bikes with 17" front wheel & over sized rotors fitted making it more difficult to air the tire with a regular air chuck. Ordered an air gauge with 90 degree fitting on the hose and bleeder to make it easy to check pressure, too.   This is an alternative to 90 degree stems on the wheels.

NAPA 90519 Chuck:

IMG_2221-M.jpg

IMG_2222-M.jpg

IMG_2224-M.jpg

• Supporting Member
Nice. Ever since the one and only set of angled metal stems I've had failed at speed (prior owner may have neglected to replace the rubber seal regularly) I'm back to rubber straight stubby stems only.
You have to change the rubber seal on a regular basis?  I have never heard this and only ever used the right angle stems.  Is this specific to a certain brand or type? My prior FZ1 had them on for almost 6 years and my brothers 919 for close to 10 years, we have never had to adjust or maintain them.  I wonder if you had a defective or damaged stem?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
When 90 degree stems were mentioned in another thread here, agree they're a good idea. Decided to make it easier to air tires and check air. Found this 90 degree air chuck yesterday and an air gauge with flex hose and 90 degree fitting, too. Don't have the new gauge, yet.

• Supporting Member
When 90 degree stems were mentioned in another thread here, agree they're a good idea. Decided to improve how I air tires and check air. Found this 90 degree air chuck yesterday and an air gauge with flex hose and 90 degree fitting, too. Don't have the new gauge, yet.
What air gauge did you get?  I was looking at what you described with a flex hose and they all had analog dial gauges reading 160+ psi, which makes lower psi exact measurements less accurate.  I would like to find a low pressure, or motorcycle oriented gauge for my home compressor, unless its the digital type then I guess it doesn't matter.  When away from home, I currently use the Craftsman Digital Gauge Its very accurate, fits neatly in my tank bag and is simple to use.

• Premium Member
When 90 degree stems were mentioned in another thread here, agree they're a good idea. Decided to improve how I air tires and check air. Found this 90 degree air chuck yesterday and an air gauge with flex hose and 90 degree fitting, too. Don't have the new gauge, yet.
What air gauge did you get?  I was looking at what you described with a flex hose and they all had analog dial gauges reading 160+ psi, which makes lower psi exact measurements less accurate.  I would like to find a low pressure, or motorcycle oriented gauge for my home compressor, unless its the digital type then I guess it doesn't matter.  When away from home, I currently use the Craftsman Digital Gauge Its very accurate, fits neatly in my tank bag and is simple to use.

This dial gauge goes up to 60PSI, should be easy to read, but much larger than the Craftsman Digital Gauge.  I wanted the protective rubber guard on the gauge and metal stem on the 90 degree fitting. Plan to use it in my shop and have a smaller gauge for road use.  Ordered it on Amazon for $20.

Accu-Gage RA60X Professional Tire Pressure Gauge with Protective Rubber Guard (60 PSI)

• Premium Member
I see, its a separate air gauge.  I thought you were talking about the all-in-one type built into the air chuck like This.
Yep, Had been looking at the style in your link, but decided to go with the Accu-Gage style for checking air pressure. It's just a personal preference.  

• Supporting Member
You have to change the rubber seal on a regular basis?  I have never heard this and only ever used the right angle stems.  Is this specific to a certain brand or type? My prior FZ1 had them on for almost 6 years and my brothers 919 for close to 10 years, we have never had to adjust or maintain them.  I wonder if you had a defective or damaged stem?

The two or three designs I've seen all use a rubber seal. It will deteriorate. It's going to last a lot longer than a rubber stem exposed to UV etc so that leaves the question of _how_ regularly? For that would say ask the mfg and/or a tire professional you trust. At the track the tech I'd go to for most tire questions insisted on replacing metal stems every two years (SuperDuke was my dedicated track bike, came with factory 90 degree stem on the front) but that's a different level of abuse than most street bikes. Plenty of folks get by without replacing rubber components for many years. Environment plays a part. Hard to say who is lucky and who is smart :) 
Don't know what the brand was of the ones that failed but they were similar in appearance to these: https://www.denniskirk.com/k-and-l/pvr70-rubber-stem-base-90-degree-angle-valve-stem-32-8225.p535631.prd/535631.sku

They had worked for some thousands of miles so not sure if it was a defect, something environmental etc.

Regardless have a large bag of inexpensive rubber stems so no remorse replacing early and often. That plus the (however slight) added protection from debris of a centerline stem is enough to overcome the convenience factor for me as I've been known to take street bikes off pavement.

The ones I use are aluminum, look a bit different and seem to be made quite different. Moto-D I know what you are saying about UV eventually deteriorating rubber.

I just use this pressure gauge. Very easy to get on the stem. I over inflate using the less accurate compressor gauge and then lower to the correct pressure using the little button on this Draper gauge.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived