Paying for premium and getting the cheep stuff!!!!

Gas stations that only have only one nozzle, you end up getting the first one or two gallons, of what ever the last person selected. Who knows what's in the hose and pump after the valve that switches source of that fuel. The motorcycle takes about three or four gallons to fill up. This means, I end up getting half premium and half who knows what. I have started look at the the type of cars or if you by chance see, another customer has selected premium, then fill up at that pump. I want to be behind the guy in the BMW, not the guy in the up old truck (I own said old truck and always buy the cheep stuff for it). Better yet look for stations that have a nozzle for each grade of fuel, and fill up there, whenever possible. Yamaha says our motorcycles require premium. I pay extra for the good stuff and want to get what I am paying for.

Kurt

I worked on gas pumps 30 years ago. The valves are at the bottom of the pump housing, so you are getting previous gas that is in the rubber hose you see, and then the internal line that goes down from the top of the pump housing to the bottom. I am not sure how much that is, but I have never noticed a problem. I just try to fill up only when my tank is empty.

I worked on gas pumps 30 years ago. The valves are at the bottom of the pump housing, so you are getting previous gas that is in the rubber hose you see, and then the internal line that goes down from the top of the pump housing to the bottom. I am not sure how much that is, but I have never noticed a problem. I just try to fill up only when my tank is empty.
3/4" hose is 0.023 gallon per foot. 10' of hose gets you 0.23 gallon or as nsmiller said, about 1/4 gallon. 

• Premium Member
Ever since we switched from leaded petrol the hoses have been single use in the UK. We had about 10 years of leaded petrol and unleaded being sold side by side and any lead will contaminate a catalytic converter so all multi-mix pumps were eventually removed. Pumps will often have 2 to 4 fuels available but each fuel has a unique hose.

People still manage to put the wrong fuel in their vehicle. Usually petrol in a diesel as the diesel nozzle is wider so will not fit in a petrol filler.

Funniest was a friend who went to the pump being unused by all of the French people at the fuel station. He managed to fill his Pan Euro ST100 with paraffin/kerosene. It didn't run very well.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Well a couple of them hoses held enough gas to fill my mini bike when I was a kid, in the evening after the stations were closed and no one was looking that is.
I fondly remember those days. I would ask my mom for the pennies in her purse to keep me riding for a week. Gas was either $0.19 per gallon or $0.19 would mostly fill the tank. Either way, I was riding. 

It says if you get over 10 L, 2,6 gallons, the octane number will still fall within specs. However, It does say there are different hose sizes and lengths, and does not specify a lot of details such as different brands, different formula's, alcohol or not alcohol or percentage of alcohol, new gas, old gas

I filled some 5 gal gas cans up with premium and some stabilizer during the early winter for use in gas yard tools, did not use much, and am using it now in the bike. It has never run better. I've been filling up the bike when I get back home from a ride. I may keep up this practice, and while at the station I’ll plan to put the first gallon of "premium" in the car, then switch to the gas cans to be sure I only get the good stuff. There will be no need for the stabilizer this spring and summer as it’ll be gone through soon enough.

Archived