Looking at a used Tracer - have a couple questions

So I've used this winter to dream about what bike I want to get come spring time. I keep coming back to the Tracer 900. Still haven't test ridden one yet though.

Anyways, I'm looking for a used 2015/16 model. Problem is the market is very small in Norway, so there are only 2 used ones advertised right now, both without any extras and are a few hours away. Both are Mistral Grey, and for some reason I just can't get myself to like that color combo. They've been out there for some time, while any used ones in the other colors seem to disappear rather fast. I want the black/grey or red/black.

2016-Yamaha-MT-09-Tracer-EU-Mistral-Grey-Studio-001.jpg

Would it be hard to paint the plastic panels while retaining the logo/text? Or get new ones? Tried searching on ebay, but couldn't find anything.

I also got long legs (1.95cm / 6'5) so was wondering if anyone else here around that height feel comfortable on their Tracer? Did you lower footpegs? Find a screen that works?

I've already been digging through the threads to gather info, but thanks for any additional input!

The tracer has an adjustable seat height so make sure that you put it in the upper position before worrying about adjusting the pegs. I'm not as tall as you so I can't speak to how comfortable it is for someone of that height.

If you were going to paint the panels, it might be easier to just order new plastic panels from a site such as bikebandit. It might be cheaper than you expect. Are there any leftover new 2015/16 bikes out there? I assume that a used bike isn't that much cheaper than a leftover new bike.

I'm 6'3" and I'm very comfortable on this bike. It's quite tall. Note that the seat has two height positions so make sure it's set to the tallest one (by default I believe it is on the lowest one). The footpegs are well positioned. I did change my pegs for the MT-09 Adventure Pegs (http://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-mt-09-adventure-foot-pegs.html), they are wider and much more comfortable than the small sport pegs the bike comes with. Easy swap.

In any case, good bike choice, I love mine.

For the panels, you could contact the dealer but that probably would be more expensive than getting a brand new bike. The blue from YM 2017 is amazing though... wish I could justify "upgrading" :)

For the windshield I'm also looking, most tall shields are pretty ugly though so it depends whether you value form over function or not. My top choice would be the National Cycle VStream Sport (https://fj-09.org/thread/4498/national-cycle-vstream).

Oh and make sure to install the heated grips if they're not installed yet... worth the $ in colder temperatures.
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

6'3" and bought a used 2016 a few weeks ago. It's a silver one with blue rims, which was probably my least favorite color option for the bike. After riding for five minutes, I couldn't care less what color it is. It's way too much fun! I do have a National Cycle VStream Sport Touring screen on order, as the stock screen doesn't really give me any buffeting, buy does leave my head in a noisy place.

The tracer has an adjustable seat height so make sure that you put it in the upper position before worrying about adjusting the pegs. I'm not as tall as you so I can't speak to how comfortable it is for someone of that height.  
If you were going to paint the panels, it might be easier to just order new plastic panels from a site such as bikebandit. It might be cheaper than you expect. Are there any leftover new 2015/16 bikes out there? I assume that a used bike isn't that much cheaper than a leftover new bike.

Checked bikebandit, looks like it will cost me 500$+ after shipping and import taxes for all the panels. There are a couple left overs from 2016. About 16700$ for a new one, or 15100$ for a used one. Would like to have some money left over for cases and other equipment.

I'm 6'3" and I'm very comfortable on this bike. It's quite tall. Note that the seat has two height positions so make sure it's set to the tallest one (by default I believe it is on the lowest one). The footpegs are well positioned. I did change my pegs for the MT-09 Adventure Pegs (http://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-mt-09-adventure-foot-pegs.html), they are wider and much more comfortable than the small sport pegs the bike comes with. Easy swap. 
In any case, good bike choice, I love mine.

For the panels, you could contact the dealer but that probably would be more expensive than getting a brand new bike. The blue from YM 2017 is amazing though... wish I could justify "upgrading" :)

For the windshield I'm also looking, most tall shields are pretty ugly though so it depends whether you value form over function or not. My top choice would be the National Cycle VStream Sport (https://fj-09.org/thread/4498/national-cycle-vstream).

Oh and make sure to install the heated grips if they're not installed yet... worth the $ in colder temperatures.

Good to hear that you feel comfortable on it. I'd want a good screen and maybe a deflector for long trips. For riding around town I'm thinking of taking the screen off all together. Don't know if anyone else has tried that. And ofc heated grips will need to be installed :)

Archived