Ebay Shorty Screen Review...

As requested from some forum members, here is the opinion of a random guy on the internet pertaining to this shorty screen.

It shipped from China and did not take very long at all to arrive. My first impressions of it were good. The dark tint looks good, its symmetrical, the edges of the plastic/lexan aren't overly sharp, no scratches or visible warping. It came with no mounting hardware so I used the OEM mounting hardware.

Here are a few pictures of it installed... I think it looks good on the bike and gives it a much more sporty look.

20170421_162652.jpg

20170421_163222.jpg

20170421_163239.jpg

For reference, I'm right under 6' with at 32.5" inseam. My commute in to work consists mainly of surface streets and a very short jaunt on the highway. At first I had the screen set to the lowest position. In this position the wind was hitting right under my chin and directly on my shoulders. It was clean air with no buffeting, but I could really feel the wind resistance on my shoulders. In the low position it is also so short that I couldn't really tuck behind it with my tank bag installed. Before entering the highway (interstate actually) I moved the screen to the highest position. In the highest position the wind was deflected around my shoulders better (still a little bit of resistance) but it didn't really change where the wind hit my helmet. I think a lot of the wind resistance is from a combination of the very upright seating position of the FJ and the shape of the windscreen, Overall I was pretty impressed with it given that it was a $26 wind screen. I still like my Puig touring screen better and will probably swap it back out, but once the temps in Georgia start hitting the upper 90's and 100's I might change my mind.

I really only have 2 complaints about this screen. One is that it could be a little bit wider. In the first picture I posted you can see the corners of the plastic cover behind the windscreen poking out. My other complaint is that the holes on the windscreen do not line up 100% with the OEM mounting bracket holes (I would say its about 98% of the way there) and as a result the well nuts are not able to sit flush with the bracket behind the windscreen. If they weren't nylon/plastic mounting screws I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. Tried to get a picture of it below.

20170421_192026.jpg

My final verdict is... for $26 its a great buy. Probably not for someone that plans on running a ton of miles on the interstates and highways, but for canyon runs, joy riding, and commuting its more than adequate.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thanks for the very clear review duhs10 ??. As you say, at that price and with the ease of swapping screens it is worth a punt for summer riding. I'm 6' 2" so it won't cover me too well, but when you need air flow this could be great. I'm going to cut down the stock screen as an experiment too.

Those Shad cases look OEM fit with your orange pin stripes. It could only be improved with a beak.........

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

...Those Shad cases look OEM fit with your orange pin stripes. It could only be improved with a beak.........

Thanks! The pin stripe was really easy, literally 2 minute job.

I've considered a beak, but I'm not really a big fan... Plus $165 for an aesthetic piece of plastic is too much for me.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Totally love the pin stripe on the plastic and bags. Nice work, and Yamaha should have done it that way from the factory. ;)

I'm going to shamelessly steal your design should I ever get side bags, but for now, the fairing and side plastic are going to be done in reflective tape to match the wheels. :)

@adjuster Well the good thing about the fact that Yamaha didn't do it from the factory, is that everyone can choose whichever color they fancy..

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Looks like a nice screen. I do think the FJ looks best with a small sporty screen. I think the stock screen on the FJ is a must to replace and one of the hardest to get right. As long as it keeps wind off your chest and helmet in clean air your got a winner and its a cheap option to try (cheaper than my $500 CAN spend on screens to get right for me)

Archived