• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Losing Hope

Pulling the 02 sensor didn't change anything, so kevs mod won't help . I can try to check plugs while I'm trying to fix the throttle but I've never been down that far, only got far enough to change the air filter.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pulling the 02 sensor didn't change anything, so kevs mod won't help . I can try to check plugs while I'm trying to fix the throttle but I've never been down that far, only got far enough to change the air filter.
The O2 sensor causes the ECU map to switch back and forth between two different fuel maps, one map for high RPM/open throttle when engine warmed up, and another map at low throttle or when engine is cold. 
Kev's O2 controller does not change the effect of the O2 sensor changing maps.  Kev's O2 controller changes the signal from the mass air flow sensor to the ECU so the ECU thinks the incoming air is denser and needs to add more fuel to richen up the air fuel mixture above what the 2 maps are calling for.  The 02 sensor will still change the maps as explained above.

(I think I have my explanation correct, but I am no expert and learning as I go)

Neither pulling the 02 sensor, or adding Kev's controller, or ECU reflash will fix the problem of surging if the throttle plates are moving around in an uncontrolled fashion.

I very seriously doubt you could have bad spark plugs to cause this surging situation.  It just does not happen that way.  It is possible to foul a plug and then clean itself out, but not over and over again as your surging is happening.  How many miles on the bike and spark plugs.  Manual says change them 8K miles, but they should last twice that long.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND your next step should be to adjust the APS. The accelerator position sensor does control the throttle plates, and it is very likely your throttle plates are not being held steady which is causing the surging.  It is fairly easy to do if you follow the instructions.  The hardest part is to figure out how to get the tank off and get to the adjustment mode in the dash gauge.  Adjusting the APS has eliminated or reduced the surging for several different people.  You can check the plugs and synch the throttle plates at the same time, just to avoid having to remove the tank an extra time or two.  But if you change 3 things at a time, you will not know which was one was the problem.

If the APS adjustment does not work, maybe you need to replace it.  Maybe you need to then try to adjust throttle position sensor.  But I have not read any reports of any one having to do that.

I'm not a mechanic and average at best when it comes to self maintenance.. but I've done the plugs on my tracer and it's pretty bloody easy. It's just taking stuff off the bike, then putting it back on.

Archived