Losing Hope

As some of you have seen before, I posted a while ago about how my bike has a weird surging going on under any condition that isn't hard to open throttle. 

Well, it seems that my problem is becoming worse and more noticeable to me. Here is what i have done so far to try to fix it

[span style=background-color:transparent;font-size:16px]Had a dealer shop look at it, adjusted the rear axle or whatever
Had a known out of house mechanic look at it, New Chain
New Air Filter
New Oil
2Wheel ECU flash (twice, because I thought it didn't work)

Nothing has changed or relived my problems, my problems are:
Horrible twitchy throttle, both on and off unless I am in B mode and very careful 
A non repetitive, non predictable, in different degrees surging in almost any gear, regardless of RPM
A surging when engine breaking in any gear regardless of RPM
A shuttering sometimes when pulling off if I don't do it fast enough
Jerky gear changing, both up and down, with some exceptions

I bought this bike from the original owner, and claims to know nothing of these problems.

This bike is not fun to ride, every time I go out I feel miserable because I know I'm paying for something that is not performing correctly, and I don't know the fix.

My next step is getting it looked at by the dealer it was bought from, which is an hour away and I'm sure going to cost even more money, for potentially no fix. 

Any ideas at all what I'm dealing with?[/span]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm taking shots in the dark...

Throttle body sync

Throttle position sensor

Some other type of sensor

Highly doubtful that is a mechanical problem with the bike, but you never know.

As much as I hate to let dealers work on my bikes.. I think your best bet is to have a dealer look at it/work on it so that there is a record of Yamaha dealing with it. Unless you know of another shop that has certified Yamaha mechanics (like something that is known for setting bikes up for track days). Also, an hour to a dealership to fix a bike you paid thousands for is acceptable if they can fix it IMO...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

[span style=background-color:transparent;font-size:16px]A shuttering sometimes when pulling off if I don't do it fast enough Jerky gear changing, both up and down, with some exceptions

[/span]
That sounds like you might simply need to work on clutch control.  Shuddering would be the result of lugging the engine because you don't give enough throttle or let out your clutch too quickly.  Same for jerky gear shifts. 
What RPMS do you ride around in general?  FJ-09 is smoothest at 4000 and above.  You've got plenty of rev range, don't feel like you're overworking the bike if you keep it between 4-7K.

• Premium Member
You just need to find you a proper shop that's familiar with this bike and its funky little quirks, its not as simple as a Briggs & Stratton but its not that complicated either for a mechanic that knows what he's doing.

BLB

• Supporting Member
Have you let anyone else ride it to experience what you feel?  You say that the original owner had no knowledge of this and when the dealer did all of the servicing, surely they did a post service test ride.
I dont want to insult you but is this your first bike? or first fuel injected bike?  Did you do a test ride before buying the bike and were these problems present on the test ride?
You also mentioned this in happening in B mode unless you are very careful, something is horribly wrong, especially after the 2WDW flash.  After the flash, B mode is so lazy and smooth, you could purposely ride like a spazz and it would still feel like your grandmas Toyota Camry.
Before dropping another penny on the bike, I would have another competent rider test it (friend or mechanic) and see if they have the same opinion as you.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I've had my friend ride it, he owns a brand new 17fz09 and he immediately knew what I was talking about. I've tried the different rev ranges, I ran 2nd gear at about 6k rpm to get out of the "closed loop" area but it was the same feeling. I'd love to have someone on the forums check it out but I don't know anyone living in the NE area around my parts.

This is my second bike, first fuel injected, but there is no way this is just how these bikes perform.

Where are you in NH?  PM me if you don't want to make it public.

I'm in Downeast Maine, several hours from Portsmouth but a little closer if I go due West as much as possible.

Hdgunnell - I'm next to Pittsfield if you'd like to come down this way.  We could do a short loop to see what's going on.  Plus you could ride mine, which is red and therefore much faster.  Let me now if interested in next weekend for this as I am going on a trip shortly thereafter.

Your biggest problem is not finding a mechanic who has the experience needed to find and fix the problem. Is there a shop that specializes in fuel injected race engines nearby, those guys are the best.

Have you tried to adjust accelerator position sensor?
https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment.

There is also a part called the throttle position sensor, and the oxygen sensor in the exhaust pipe. The service manual has descriptions of these parts and how the check / adjust them. My guess would be to make the adjustments, and then replace one at a time to see if the the problem goes away.

Did the 2WDW reflash disconnect the AIS system?

Have you tightened the throttle cables just enough to take the slack out?

Synching the throttle plates is an important adjustment, but probably not the actual cause of your problem.   But loss of accurate control of one or more of the throttle plates may be part of the problem.  I would also guess that if the throttle plates are not holding position accurately, the vacuum readings with the throttle sync vacuum tester manometer (whatever it is called) would have the levels of the liquid also inconsistent. 

Another problem may be your throttle control of R wrist is not subtle enough. If you try to keep steady throttle at steady speed and still get the surging, something else is wrong.

As some of you have seen before, I posted a while ago about how my bike has a weird surging going on under any condition that isn't hard to open throttle.  

Well, it seems that my problem is becoming worse and more noticeable to me. Here is what i have done so far to try to fix it

[span style=background-color:transparent;font-size:16px]Had a dealer shop look at it, adjusted the rear axle or whatever
Had a known out of house mechanic look at it, New Chain
New Air Filter
New Oil
2Wheel ECU flash (twice, because I thought it didn't work)

Nothing has changed or relived my problems, my problems are:
Horrible twitchy throttle, both on and off unless I am in B mode and very careful 
A non repetitive, non predictable, in different degrees surging in almost any gear, regardless of RPM
A surging when engine breaking in any gear regardless of RPM
A shuttering sometimes when pulling off if I don't do it fast enough
Jerky gear changing, both up and down, with some exceptions

I bought this bike from the original owner, and claims to know nothing of these problems.

This bike is not fun to ride, every time I go out I feel miserable because I know I'm paying for something that is not performing correctly, and I don't know the fix.

My next step is getting it looked at by the dealer it was bought from, which is an hour away and I'm sure going to cost even more money, for potentially no fix. 

Any ideas at all what I'm dealing with?[/span]

It sounds like my first year of production FZ-09 was. Extremely twitchy throttle that took me forever to get used to. My friend rode it and hated the throttle. The 2017 FZ-09 has that problem fixed I'm told so you can't compare it to the 2017 fz-09. But yeah, it sounds just like my FZ-09 was and I sold it. Maybe sell this one and get a newer model?

Did your flash disable the O2 sensor?

In your other thread, I recommended Ivan's flash for only one reason...there are members on the FZ-09 forum that have had other flashes (including 2wdw) and found Ivan's to be far superior. I have Ivan's on mine, which behaved exactly as you describe, and it runs now like it has carburetors.

Is it possible to get a video?
Is it possible the ABS sensors got bumped around? Check all safety connections such as clutch, kickstand, etc...check your throttle/ clutch cable slack... Unplug the o2 sensor and take a quick trip around the block to see if that helps, if that helps o2 sensor is bad

As for the o2 sensor being disabled, only a few tuning products are available for the FJ-09 that disable the o2 sensor... Flashtune is not one of them AFAIK, but Flashtune now has a product you can buy to tune the closed loop area but Woolich tuning products totaly disables the o2 sensor on the FJ-09
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Is it possible to get a video? Is it possible the ABS sensors got bumped around? Check all safety connections such as clutch, kickstand, etc...check your throttle/ clutch cable slack... Unplug the o2 sensor and take a quick trip around the block to see if that helps, if that helps o2 sensor is bad

As for the o2 sensor being disabled, only a few tuning products are available for the FJ-09 that disable the o2 sensor... Flashtune is not one of them AFAIK, but Flashtune now has a product you can buy to tune the closed loop area but Woolich tuning products totaly disables the o2 sensor on the FJ-09
Flashtune does have "Disable Closed Loop" which is the O2 sensor.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived