New member from SF bay area

New member here from the San Francisco Bay Area. Just wanted to break the ice with a first post. I just purchased a 2016 fj09 a week ago and it's fantastic. This is my 3rd bike I've owned. I started with a 2000 Suzuki sv650, then a 2015 Yamaha fz07, and now the fj09. Everything is completely stock on my 2016, and had only 12 miles on it after sitting in the showroom for a year. I look forward to checking out this forum now. Cheers

Welcome from a fellow bay area rider, and congrats on the new bike. How's it compare to the FZ-07?

There's quite a few of us bay area riders on the forum. Just today I shared lanes with another red FJ, which we all know is the fastest color (holler at me if you're on the forum, fellow commuter!).

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard, look around on the forum, there are lots of good ideas to part you from your money and have fun with your new bike.......

the 2 bikes (fz07 and fj09) almost seem worlds apart. After putting 4000 miles on my 2015 fz07 I realized I was a little to big for it. I'm 6'1, 240 lbs and the bike felt like I was on on a kids bike! The fj09 seems to fit better, and I don't mind having an extra cylinder. I am still getting used to the riding position on the fj, and am starting not to miss leaning over the gas tank.

I got my '17 on valentines day, and "broke it in" on those wet and dirty Santa Cruz Mountain roads. I changed the oil at 250, oil and filter at 750 and 2000.
The book says no prolonged stretches over 5600 rpm for like 600 miles, then not over 6800 for a bit after that.
Seriously, where are you gonne have to run over 5600 rpm for more than 10 seconds in these mountains? That's about 80 in top gear. The break in period never even impacted my ride once. I still tear it up and don't spend hardly any time over 5k. It just isn't needed around here.
Take it up Page Mill in 3rd keeping it around 4k, you'll see what I mean. You won't have any chicken strips left after that. That bike has plenty of grunt.
See ya at Alice's!

I got my 2016 fj09 like a week ago and it's awesome. I'm from Fairfield ca. If you feel like meeting up in my neck of the woods we could go up to lake berryessa from the solano community college and come down at Pena adobe/lagoon valley. It's a really nice ride.

Ok, awesome! As soon as I get my oil change done I'll message you guys. I've been commuting everyday from sonoma county to Marin. I should be around oil change time here pretty soon. I'm in Petaluma, and That ride is in my neck of the woods.

Archived