Summer Mode

If there's one thing I can honestly say I've struggled with over the last two years, it's the wind management on the FJ. Stock windscreen had my head feeling like a bobblehead, refused to buy Yamaha's barn door Touring Screen, bought a CalSci and it was better (although I should have gone with a taller version), added a Givi extender and it's better still, but just not good enough. Now that I don't need the FJ to be my distance bike (the wife and I now have a Valkyrie for that), I've decided to use the FJ in what I call Summer Mode when the weather is warm.

As an experiment (and before I spend real money on a nicer one), I bought an eBay R6 shorty screen from some dude in the backwoods of China (I Google Mapped it - he's OUT there :) ) for $12, and I run that instead of any combination of screen I've tried so far. Off come the Givi handguard wind deflectors (which do help in the cold), and sometimes even the stock handguards themselves. I feel like I've got a sportier, more hooliganesque bike for the warm weather, and I get SUPER clean airflow and zero buffeting, not to mention I'm cooler with air actually going through my mesh jacket.

I'll go back to Winter Mode when things start cooling off, and when the buffeting is less important than keeping the cold air off me. But man, Summer Mode + earplugs = a quiet, calm ride that I haven't had in my first two years of ownership.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I'm considering doing something similiar for "summer". A very short or basically in-existent screen would make my riding much more pleasant.

As far as winterizing your bike, did you call CalSci and see if they could exchange you for a taller screen? On other forums I've read about them exchanging shields even after a few years.

'15 FJ09

I had no idea that they'd even consider doing that, so I never bothered asking them. Perhaps I should try that, because right now, while it's better than the stock screen, I kind of regret the purchase.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Archived