Do your riding skills vary from day to day?

I can identify with the thoughts expressed here. Years ago, when I felt a bit out of it, my response was to push harder. Now, I just accept my limitations, go for the 'flow' feeling at whatever pace feels comfortable, and wait patiently for 'beast mode' to return- whether it be that day or another.

• Premium Member
One of my riding friends and I just had this conversation Sunday during lunch break on a ride. We've been riding together on the same twisty roads for 14 years. There are days when I can't keep up with him, and days when he can't keep up with me. We can tell within the first few miles who is on their game and who isn't. Whichever of us is faster that day lets the slower take the lead and set the pace so that we aren't pushing the envelope trying to keep up. This is something we've been doing to protect each other all these years but never really talked about it until Sunday.

We also discussed that passengers can have on and off days. I have a friend who loves spirited rides, and she was with us Sunday. On her on days, she doesn't slow me down in corners at all. She can stay glued to me and the seat, and we lean as one. If the bike didn't accelerate a little slower with her on it, I'd forget she was even there. When we're both having an on day, we can leave my friend on his R1 some days. On her off days, she's out of sync with me and the bike. She's twitchy in her movements, and her lean isn't predictable. This obviously slows me down on my best days, and if I'm also having an off day, it makes the ride hard for either of us to enjoy.

Archived