Do your riding skills vary from day to day?

Mine do.

For instance, yesterday I rode 100-ish miles on back roads.  It was enjoyable, but I knew I wasn't at my peak.  Timing just a little off, no smoothness, things just weren't flowing.

Today, I took another ride on my favorite stretch of twisties and it was a whole different experience.  Everything clicked, I had that "honed edge" feeling and rode the really twisty part in 3rd and 4th up in the power band and touched triple digits a couple of times.   Wooo, THAT'S why I ride!

At the other end of the scale, I've had days where I got a mile or so from the house and turned around and went home because I just knew I shouldn't be riding.  Twitchy, distracted, uncoordinated and just plain uncomfortable.

Mine do. 
For instance, yesterday I rode 100-ish miles on back roads.  It was enjoyable, but I knew I wasn't at my peak.  Timing just a little off, no smoothness, things just weren't flowing.

Today, I took another ride on my favorite stretch of twisties and it was a whole different experience.  Everything clicked, I had that "honed edge" feeling and rode the really twisty part in 3rd and 4th up in the power band and touched triple digits a couple of times.   Wooo, THAT'S why I ride!

At the other end of the scale, I've had days where I got a mile or so from the house and turned around and went home because I just knew I shouldn't be riding.  Twitchy, distracted, uncoordinated and just plain uncomfortable.
You're not alone, ph.   I have experienced identical shortcomings and frailties when riding, tho' happily not too often.   You described it perfectly - I described it on another Forum as having ridden that day like an absolute beginner - nothing was smooth, turns had square sides to them, and I felt both unhappy and unsafe!   I have heard of others experiencing the very same thing.   Turning round (twitchily!!) and heading for home is the best thing...               

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Absolutely. I have the same thing happen in my manual transmission car where my shifting is just awful, on the bike it is usually shifting and apexing turns terribly.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Premium Member
yep, pretty normal for me too. Some days I'm just nailing it, and don't want to get off the bike. Other days, I just can't seem to pick the right line, or stay on it. Key is to know when you aren't on your game, and don't take stupid risks.

Not really, only get a tad frustrated when on a track when I know I was supposed to remember that mental marker at certain parts on the track...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
There is a psychological and physical aspect to riding. The key is to know when to adjust and to know when to get off of the bike and take a break. Being tired can be a dangerous impairment. Emotions need to be accounted for and adjust accordingly. Needless to say, don't drink and ride.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I think everyone has the same feelings of up and down while riding. I have had a down feeling in the morning maybe due to rust and or cold tires to feel great in the afternoon. I tend to slow down when feeling "not into it" and if the up feelings don't come , I head home.

• Premium Member
Relating to this topic, I live in Central Florida. This time of year it's averaging 85 degrees by 9:00 a.m. By 11:00 a.m. It's in the low 90's. I wear ATGATT and it's breatheable mesh. Just this morning I hit the road at 7:00 a.m. By 9:00 a.m. It was just plain hot! I was pre occupied with the heat. Not good. So... my plan to ride is now, start out at 5:00 a.m. Be back by 9:00 a.m. And ride in the evenings if I'm up to it. And no, I'm not going to be,"that guy" who rides in shorts and flip flops... Road rash hurts.... I always chuckle when I hear people say," Oh you live in Florida, you can ride all year." Yes that's true, but in the summer during the day, you fry in traffic. Not fun...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Relating to this topic, I live in Central Florida. This time of year it's averaging 85 degrees by 9:00 a.m. By 11:00 a.m. It's in the low 90's. I wear ATGATT and it's breatheable mesh. Just this morning I hit the road at 7:00 a.m. By 9:00 a.m. It was just plain hot! I was pre occupied with the heat. Not good. So... my plan to ride is now, start out at 5:00 a.m. Be back by 9:00 a.m. And ride in the evenings if I'm up to it. And no, I'm not going to be,"that guy" who rides in shorts and flip flops... Road rash hurts.... I always chuckle when I hear people say," Oh you live in Florida, you can ride all year." Yes that's true, but in the summer during the day, you fry in traffic. Not fun...
Everyone has heard about the heat wave in southern AZ. 115 in Tucson. YOU WILL DIE (not hyperbole) if you try riding in town during the day. It was 100 degrees at 8pm when I went out for a ride. Everything in the original post by phpaul I can relate to. I'm older so I pay close attention to what my body is telling me. But also the FJ has some serious shortcomings that an off day just exacerbates.

Guest smr1870
I feel pretty much the same way. There are times I go riding and just don't feel into it at all and just head home shortly after getting started. Other times, I don't want to stop riding and wish there was more daylight! I'm not so sure that my skills seem different from day to day, but the effort I'm willing to put into using my skills does seem to vary depending on how into the ride I am at the moment.

Not only does my "synchronicity" vary on day to day basis, it also varies at different times on a single ride. A lot of times I will feel sluggish and out of synch at the start of a ride, I just take it easy and wait until my brain gets everything tuned up. Then, and if the road or traffic situation warrants, I will ride more aggressive. If it has been a long ride and I start to feel tired while heading home, I will slow down and take it easy.

Not only does my "synchronicity" vary on day to day basis, it also varies at different times on a single ride. A lot of times I will feel sluggish and out of synch at the start of a ride, I just take it easy and wait until my brain gets everything tuned up. Then, and if the road or traffic situation warrants, I will ride more aggressive. If it has been a long ride and I start to feel tired while heading home, I will slow down and take it easy.
This has been an interesting Thread, with more readers than I'd have expected telling of their own 'off' days (self included!).   Maybe we should start a new Thread for those who do not have such experiences!   But thinking it through while out riding at the weekend, it might be a symptom more often felt by the more experienced riders here who can tell right from wrong!   Just thinkin'...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived