Oxford heated grips via bike's controller

Evening all,

I have been contemplating heated grips for a while and mulling over the benefits or otherwise of the OEM grips.  Having stumbled upon Oxford Premium Grips at almost half price I rapidly changed my mind and ordered a set.  I had been planning to connect them via one of the three spare sockets behind the dash.  However I have read a number of posts on the forums that would suggest that if I connect the Oxford grips to the OEM grip connectors on the bike, then I will be able to control the Oxford grips via the onboard controller.  To do this I would need the indicator sockets available on Ebay and elsewhere.  

Is there anyone out there that has actually done this?  A couple of you out there say that you have connected heated vest this way and I don't see why the Oxford Grips should be any different.

CS

• Supporting Member
Evening all, 
I have been contemplating heated grips for a while and mulling over the benefits or otherwise of the OEM grips.  Having stumbled upon Oxford Premium Grips at almost half price I rapidly changed my mind and ordered a set.  I had been planning to connect them via one of the three spare sockets behind the dash.  However I have read a number of posts on the forums that would suggest that if I connect the Oxford grips to the OEM grip connectors on the bike, then I will be able to control the Oxford grips via the onboard controller.  To do this I would need the indicator sockets available on Ebay and elsewhere.  

Is there anyone out there that has actually done this?  A couple of you out there say that you have connected heated vest this way and I don't see why the Oxford Grips should be any different.

CS
I have read several posts in the past of people asking if it was possible but I have never heard of anyone actually controlling aftermarket grips or a heated vest through the bikes display, I think that is the selling point of the OEM heated grips is that they are fully integrated and controllable without an extra bar mounted controller.  Though I may be completely wrong. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have read several posts in the past of people asking if it was possible but I have never heard of anyone actually controlling aftermarket grips or a heated vest through the bikes display, I think that is the selling point of the OEM heated grips is that they are fully integrated and controllable without an extra bar mounted controller.  Though I may be completely wrong.
Well popawilly in this post https://fj-09.org/post/51400/thread reports that he is running his heated vest through the oem grip connectors plus dash control panel. 
I'm no electrician but the wiring diagram in the service manual appears to indicate a simple series circuit for the grips with power on one side and ground on the other.

CS

After further reading I have learned that this can be and has been done.  A number of people over on the mt-09 forum have done it.  There is however a proviso, the aftermarket grips must be designed to be connnected in series, as the OEM grips are.  This means that Oxford grips will not work as they are designed to be wired in parallel.

Hope this helps somebody else.  As for me I'm back to my original plan of connecting the Oxford grips to the accessory socket behind the dash and using the Oxford controller.

CS

I would think they could be wired in parallel as long as the resistive load they presented to the on board controller is about the same as the OEMs in series.

Just reread your original post and the sound like the OEM system provideds two connectors, on for each grip.  If they are indeed wired to the controller in series a wiring diragram would help determine which terminals at the OEM connectors could be combined to create a single connection point for a parallel load.  Could also be figured out with a multimeter and power resistor but it would take a bit of fiddling about.

Archived