New Owner, NOVA

wuzzat

Picked up my 2017 FJ-09 on 29 July from Valley Cycle Center, Winchester, Virginia.  Great dealership and a great deal compared to the quotes of every other dealer in the area.  

I first rode in 1972, and since 2001 I've owned a 2001 Suzuki SV-650 (2001-2002), a 2002 Yamaha FZ-1 (2002-2017), a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300 (2006-2016), and a 2007 Ducati S2R1000 (2007-2016).  I've put 300 miles on the FJ-09 so far and I'm getting used to those wide bars and tall seat.  Love that engine; it's like the FZ and the Monster had a love child.  Handling's amazing, and the loss of about 80 pounds compared to the FZ is noticeable.

I've added a Pyramid Plastics Fenda Extenda, installed Pazzo levers for the clutch and front brake (that stock clutch lever has one hell of a reach...), and installed a DENALI SoundBomb horn in place of the stock bleating sheep impersonator.  Next up will be an R&G radiator guard, a Signal Dynamics BackOff license plate frame, and an SW-MOTECH skid plate.

I'd appreciate any advice on frame sliders versus engine guards for this bike.  I'd also like to install heavier bar-end weights but, other than removing the hand guards and pulling the handlebar threaded inserts, I've yet to find a solution.

Here's hoping to see some of you DMV FJ riders out there!

Welcome! I commute from Herndon -> NW DC via 267 and 66 most days. Hope to see you on the road sometime.

I think frame sliders vs. engine guards is mostly a personal preference. I've put a set of SW-Motech engine guards on mine and have no regrets. I like the way they look on the FJ.

I've also removed my hand guards and replaced them with bar ends from the FZ-09, but only for purposes of making the bike narrower to lane split through DC traffic. They're a little buzzier, but it's far from uncomfortable for me. I'm not aware of a way to use different bar ends but maintain the stock hand guards. But I know some folks on the forum have filled their bars with good results?

• Premium Member
Congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the forum. I agree with Jurstey, personal preference between sliders and guards.

Take a look around, I'm sure you will find lots of folks with opinions, all worth what you pay for them :)

• 3 months later...
Hi! I installed the one-piece SoundBomb. It was a straight bolt-off, bolt-on job. I found it easiest to loosen the nut holding the stock horn to the mounting bracket, then remove the mounting bracket. I aligned the horn opening downward, and the existing wires reached the Denali terminals without much fuss.

Archived