Considering buying: Handlebar swap options for shorter arms?

Strongly considering the FJ09.  Stuck on Vespyr (refined, distance, weight and 2 up) versus FJ09 (playful, lighter, not as distance friendly).  I think I got that comparison right in essence ;^)   Trying not to look at the Troubles/Issues forum, looks problematic.  But then all bikes have issues.

When I sit on the FJ09 I really like it.  But at 5'9" I wish the bars were a tad higher and back.  Any know and well tested bar swap outs or upgrades to address this?

Thanks!

Welcome.

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam, so short torso. I've adapted to the bar position. BUT I'm 25 and used to sport bikes, so the FJ feels giant to me anyway. There are a few threads about bar swaps. Risers are definitely available. You could also just try rotating the bars back a little in the existing bar mounts.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Strongly considering the FJ09.  Stuck on Vespyr (refined, distance, weight and 2 up) versus FJ09 (playful, lighter, not as distance friendly).  I think I got that comparison right in essence ;^)   Trying not to look at the Troubles/Issues forum, looks problematic.  But then all bikes have issues. 
When I sit on the FJ09 I really like it.  But at 5'9" I wish the bars were a tad higher and back.  Any know and well tested bar swap outs or upgrades to address this?

Thanks!
I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I have alligator arms. I used Rox 2" anti-vibration bar risers and a set of Rizoma bars. I had to use a 2" longer clutch cable, and the rest of the cables work. I got the risers on clearance and did the work myself, so I have right at $200 in the mod. Fits me like a glove now. I've ridden about 6K miles with the setup, including a trip from my house in Indiana to Denver, CO and back. Zero issues. 

I just did this with mine. Chinese risers with Renthal Street Naked bars AND with stock cables. I deleted that metal cage thing where all the mess is by the tree and was then able to re-route some cables. I'm able to sit back more. Tuesday I'll be doing a gel/memory foam insert on the seat then all should be good.

20170902_102502.jpg

20170902_102408.jpg

20170902_102538.jpg

• Premium Member
I just did this with mine. Chinese risers with Renthal Street Naked bars AND with stock cables. I deleted that metal cage thing where all the mess is by the tree and was then able to re-route some cables. I'm able to sit back more. Tuesday I'll be doing a gel/memory foam insert on the seat then all should be good. 

20170902_102502.jpg

20170902_102408.jpg

20170902_102538.jpg

Archived