Kev's O2 Controller and Poor Running Engine

I have 15,000+ miles on my FJ now.  To date the only service done to the bike was the initial 600 mile (I believe) break in service and 3 oil/filter changes that I did.  My bike also has a Kev's O2 controller on it.  My bike has started to run very poorly when between 3500-4500 rpms.  I would describe it as jerky or go as far as saying it's "missing".  I was wondering if it's possibly related to the O2 controller or if the bike just needs serviced.  I do plan on pulling the controller off to see if it improves.  I also believe my chain and sprockets are due for replacement.  Can anyone with an O2 controller or anyone for that matter offer any feedback?
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Bvebrad - you said that you have a new chain and sprockets planned. Put her on the center stand, and slowly turn the back wheel - looking for a much tighter spot vs a much loser spot in the tension.

If so, replace that first before worrying about anything else. It’s a good possibility that’s what you are feeling.

If not - the other advice given here are all good first steps.

HTH,
-Skip

I just watched a video on how to change the plugs last night.  I already have the plugs.  Replacing them looks like a real PITA but what do ya do.  Things were much easier in the ole days.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

I just watched a video on how to change the plugs last night.  I already have the plugs.  Replacing them looks like a real PITA but what do ya do.  Things were much easier in the ole days.

They’re really not a big deal.

Hardest part is usually getting the coil packs out of the cylinder head. I swear Yamaha engine builders pound those suckers in with a rubber mallet!

Good luck!
-S

The coil packs are easy to get off. I put tape around some long nose needle plies and put the taped ends under the coil. I stuffed a rag under the middle of the pliers to act as a fulcrum to lever up the coil packs. I used my fingers to pull up on the coil pack at the same time to take as much pressure off the pliers as possible. Before putting them back on, be sure to apply some spark plug boot grease.

• 2 weeks later...
I have 15,000+ miles on my FJ now.  To date the only service done to the bike was the initial 600 mile (I believe) break in service and 3 oil/filter changes that I did.  My bike also has a Kev's O2 controller on it.  My bike has started to run very poorly when between 3500-4500 rpms.  I would describe it as jerky or go as far as saying it's "missing".  I was wondering if it's possibly related to the O2 controller or if the bike just needs serviced.  I do plan on pulling the controller off to see if it improves.  I also believe my chain and sprockets are due for replacement.  Can anyone with an O2 controller or anyone for that matter offer any feedback?

Brad
Selbyville, DE

Just a quick followup on this, it turns out the problem was a tank of bad gas. Once I ran out the tank and filled with good gas she runs great again. I still need to replace the chain/sprockets but I'll finish out the season on the old ones.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Archived