Ermax sport screen feedback needed

stevesweetz

It's time to finally ditch the stock windscreen and I want a shorty screen so my head is fully in the wind.

I'm 5'9" and in the lowest position the stock screen just barely buffets the bottom of my helmet in my natural seating position.  If I sit up on the bike like I'm attending charm school, my head is fully in the wind which is quieter.

I like the looks of the Ermax screen and, yes, I've searched the forum, but I haven't found too much useful feedback on it other than @clint saying "it sucked".

If the wind hits you even just a little lower than the stock screen, I'll be good.  However, I'm wondering about the "double bubble" design and increased vertical deflection negating the difference in the screen's length.

Can anyone with the Ermax sport screen comment on where the wind hits you relative to the stock screen?

@piotrek Do you recall where the wind hit you relative to the stock screen?

I'm comfortable with the wind noise when I sit up on the bike and my head is fully in the wind.  However, buffeting from the stock windscreen if my head is even just slightly in it's "deflection zone" is a lot noisier.

@piotrek Thank you, but unfortunately that doesn't help too much without a point of reference (i.e. I don't really know where your head is relative to mine when on the bike). I need a comparison to the stock windscreen as a common point of reference. Did you remember if the wind hit you higher or lower than the stock windscreen in the same position?

I'm 5' 7" and the Ermax Sport is my spring/summer shield. I like the airflow I receive but don't like the wind noise either. I purchased nylon shims and longer mounting screws from our local Orchard Supply and leaned the Ermax's top forward 1/8" at a time. Also tried shimming the bottom. Weather I moved the screen up or down, not much difference that I noticed. Angling the top forward was the biggest improvement for me. I got it better then stock and left it on for a couple seasons. Maybe you could try shimming the bottom out which will bring the top of the screen towards you. That should lower the airflow some. Then try the FJ's lowest position. The shims are cheap and worth a try.

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

I don't know if you purchased the Ermax sport screen yet but I used one for the past 3 weeks ago and just switched back to my PUIG race/sport screen. The Ermax was just.....OK, IMO. Anything seems better than the stock shield. That said, I had to mount a wind spoiler on the Ermax to be able to use it on the highway, which made it tolerable, not great. Without the spoiler it was way too noisy for me.  FYI, I am 6'-0= tall and my helmet is a Shoei RF-1200.

Archived