New FJ owner hear sorting out the 12v outlet woes

arcboy

So I'm coming off of a 2016 Tiger 800 with all sorts or power options in powerlet connections.  I literally just brought home my 2016 new leftover Fj-09GS yesterday.  I've been researching all the power options to run my heated gear for my Alaska Trip, which I'm hoping July won't be too cold :-)  I don't really need much for power options, but I did notice the one issue is trying to run that heated gear off the factory 12v socket in the dash is a no go due to the low amp fuse and wiring.  So I am thinking of swapping out the 12v on the left side for a powerlet socket to eliminate the poor contact issues or maybe sticking an o-ring around the male end. Or just leaving it there and adding a powerlet to the blank side and figuring out how to connect it to the factory harness connector for the optional Yamaha 12v socket. 

Since the heated gear can't be ran off the factory 12v outlets I was thinking of getting a powerlet to SAE adapter to hook up to the battery tender.  The issue or thing I'm not sure about is does this need some sort of fuseable link?  Also I would prefer to not be hooked up with an adapter and want to have swap connectors on the heated gear with a SAE connector.  Since I don't know anything about electrical stuff, is this a good idea to swap out the connectors and what is the best way to make this connection? Solder, crimp, or I have some cool posi-lock connectors.  Will this loose some sort of amp rating or ohms or something?

I will also be using this connection for powering my mini air pump for my air mattress.

The only things I will be running is a phone and charging up the Sena5, and maybe GoPro battery.  I won' be charging all the time since I do have a solar powered battery pack that will be charging as I ride down the road, but it just doesn't seem to charge one thing overnight and just enough.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.

@piotrek added a powerlet socket to his bike, which could be used for heated gear. Worth a forum search.

I have an SAE socket with fused link coming straight off the battery. The socket sits under the seat. I can then use it to hook up a battery tender to charge the battery over winter, or use it as a power source for an air compressor if I get a flat.

For charging accessories I have swapped out the OEM cigarette socket for a twin USB, which I can use to charge phones etc in a tank bag. My GPS takes power from one of the spare cables under the dash surround. I couldnt find the correct connectors for these, so cut the OEM versions off and soldered the connection and heat shrink.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks for the response. I thought I would have gotten an email or something or notification when I log in, but nothing and I just happen to look and see if anyone responded.

I couldn't find that post, but did find a lot of others of piotrek's. I did a couple hours of searching and everything pointed to the 12v sockets suck with low amp rated fuse/wiring. I couldn't find anything that really matched what I'm asking.

I think I am going to do what you did and swap out the SAE for a powerlet with a fuseable link to run the heated gear and then have an adapter to the SAE for a tender that I will never use since I'll be riding too much :-) I already have an adapter for us socket to powerlet adapter.

Also I think the factory outlet is going to get swapped out for dual USB outlet or keep it and add a dual USB outlet on the right side. I'm a welder, but never soldered and really want it soldered and not have a crimp connector, but these posi-lock connectors are really easy and fool proof on getting a good connection. I too have a connection through the tank bag.

@arcboy ... I have three Powerlets on my bike. One replaced the LHS OE socket (2A), one mounted under LHS fairing, same as one @3banger did (10A, mostly for heated gear), and one on RHS in the back (10A, air pump, tender etc.), near the side case. Heated gear is switched and the rear is direct to battery. 
Hope this helps.
It does.  Do you have a part number or where you purchased the powerlet outlets?  Or did you just go to powerlet.com?  Did you have any problems with the size our mounting the powerlet in the OE socket locations and near the side cases?  How about wiring them up?  Did you have to swap out connectors or how did you wire them up to the bike? 
I'm trying to find 3banger's post to see what was done.

It does.  Do you have a part number or where you purchased the powerlet outlets?  Or did you just go to powerlet.com?  Did you have any problems with the size our mounting the powerlet in the OE socket locations and near the side cases?  How about wiring them up?  Did you have to swap out connectors or how did you wire them up to the bike? 
I'm trying to find 3banger's post to see what was done.
The LHS fairing was a standard Powerlet socket, while the rear was a 90 degree assembly (part numbers). The OE was an eBay special... had to enlarge opening a tad with a dremel tool. 3banger's post.
Oh man, that is awesome!!!  Thanks for the links.  Looks like Ive got some shopping to do.

• Supporting Member
@arcboy - Congratulations on the new FJ, and welcome to the forum!

Fair warning: We are FJ Enablers around here, and always willing to share links that tempt you to spend money on things you never knew you needed. Just another value-added service the community provides!

@arcboy - Congratulations on the new FJ, and welcome to the forum!  
Fair warning: We are FJ Enablers around here, and always willing to share links that tempt you to spend money on things you never knew you needed. Just another value-added service the community provides!
Thanks 
HA!!

• 1 month later...
Doubled the OEM fuses with 2x the original amp rating without issue. It actually allowed fast charging of my devices now. Made the trip to Alaska, and on my way back to Florida now, with this setup and factory heated grips without issue. YES, it will be cold in July on your trip and likely will see temps dip in the 50's on the regular. Ditch any and all mesh gear you have and find better suitable (long) jacket AND pants with liners. Consider at least the front fender extender and radiator guard. You can find my killer ride report on here. Oh yeah, MICHELIN ROAD 5 is good for at least 8100 miles at frequent triple digits and loaded with gear...

Doubled the OEM fuses with 2x the original amp rating without issue. It actually allowed fast charging of my devices now. Made the trip to Alaska, and on my way back to Florida now, with this setup and factory heated grips without issue. YES, it will be cold in July on your trip and likely will see temps dip in the 50's on the regular. Ditch any and all mesh gear you have and find better suitable (long) jacket AND pants with liners. Consider at least the front fender extender and radiator guard. You can find my killer ride report on here. Oh yeah, MICHELIN ROAD 5 is good for at least 8100 miles at frequent triple digits and loaded with gear...

Apologies for the delayed response as I didn’t see it. Good tip in the fuses. I ended up wiring up the second auxiliary spot to a double USB port with bolt meter and added in a fuseable linked powerlet and mounted it in a little plastic pieces under the side of the seat.

I’ve been reading mixed weather reviews for July. We know someone that is in Washingtonand frequents AK quite a bit and she says it’s not bad and agrees with that statement. I expect the days to be decent and cool at night. I plan on burning up the stock Dunlop’s halfway or less and finding a place to put some Pilot Roads on if I can find somewhere that has them. Probably have to schedule that ahead of time and get in an oil change at the same time.

Apologies for the delayed response as I didn’t see it. Good tip in the fuses. I ended up wiring up the second auxiliary spot to a double USB port with bolt meter and added in a fuseable linked powerlet and mounted it in a little plastic pieces under the side of the seat.

I’ve been reading mixed weather reviews for July. We know someone that is in Washingtonand frequents AK quite a bit and she says it’s not bad and agrees with that statement. I expect the days to be decent and cool at night. I plan on burning up the stock Dunlop’s halfway or less and finding a place to put some Pilot Roads on if I can find somewhere that has them. Probably have to schedule that ahead of time and get in an oil change at the same time.

I replaced my OEM tires on a brand new FJ-09 to Road 5 so I wouldn't have to chase tires on the road. Angel GT and TKC 70 is all I found available in our sizes while in Alaska. OEM chain didn't last either and I would have replaced it with an EK or D.I.D. chain if I had known it to be of such poor quality.

Archived