Shifting problem

I changed the cable last night.  It was much harder to do than my previous bike, a pain to get it routed.  Whatever engineer came up with that cable route path deserves a slap upside the head.  Though this bike has everything all tucked away for a cleaner look.

I zip-tied them together and pulled it from the top through to the bottom.  It got hung up at multiple spots.  The old cable (original from the factory I assume - only have ~13,000km on the bike) was pinched by a clip that holds a hose on something...  I don't know what it is.  Radiator tube maybe. 

Right behind the radiator where the tube is on a fitting on the front of the motor.  It was being pinched between the clip and the motor itself.  I couldn't fit my hand inside so I had to use a screwdriver to reach in there and prod at it until I eventually got it un-pinched.
Then it go stuck someplace out of sight just before it drops down to where it makes its bend to the clutch actuator.

got it all buttoned up and it works, but the clutch engagement happens way out at the end of the level pull.  It used to be the engagement happened at mid-pull so I'm revving high with each shift since I'm not used to it, but it works and I'm riding.

Haven't looked at the manual to see how to adjust it to move the engagement point more mid-pull yet.

IMG_20180618_203139.jpg
Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

I changed the cable last night.  It was much harder to do than my previous bike, a pain to get it routed.  Whatever engineer came up with that cable route path deserves a slap upside the head.  Though this bike has everything all tucked away for a cleaner look. 
I zip-tied them together and pulled it from the top through to the bottom.  It got hung up at multiple spots.  The old cable (original from the factory I assume - only have ~13,000km on the bike) was pinched by a clip that holds a hose on something...  I don't know what it is.  Radiator tube maybe. 

Right behind the radiator where the tube is on a fitting on the front of the motor.  It was being pinched between the clip and the motor itself.  I couldn't fit my hand inside so I had to use a screwdriver to reach in there and prod at it until I eventually got it un-pinched.
Then it go stuck someplace out of sight just before it drops down to where it makes its bend to the clutch actuator.

got it all buttoned up and it works, but the clutch engagement happens way out at the end of the level pull.  It used to be the engagement happened at mid-pull so I'm revving high with each shift since I'm not used to it, but it works and I'm riding.

Haven't looked at the manual to see how to adjust it to move the engagement point more mid-pull yet.

IMG_20180618_203139.jpg

Sorry for you troubles.. I recently replaces my clutch cable as well. I loosened the radiator mount so the clip would move a bit which made it easier though that area. Other than that I felt it was straight forward.. took me about 15 minutes to complete.

If your clutch is engaging too late I would take a look at the actuator arm at the bottom of the cable and adjust that until you get the clutch engagement where you want it.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived