Alaska in 2019 anyone?

On 12/11/2018 at 7:47 PM, wordsmith said:

Doesn't need to be high-labour - and IMHO you'd be disappointed using the spray-can bedliner, but I guess that depends on how fussy you are!   On my last Tracer's OE pannier lids I used a household paint spray-can, over a compatible undercoat/ primer (about AUD$8 per can), then finished-off with clear topcoat.   Good enough for me, and I'm ultra-fussy - and I'll be doing the same when my new bike arrives.

I've done paint before, and it is a lot of labor. I guess I'll spray something else with the bedliner to make sure I like it first, just to be sure. I'll have to wait until spring and warmer weather, however, as I need to do the painting outside. The most important thing, however, is that my leave time was approved - so this is actually going to happen! I only have three weeks, so hopefully the weather cooperates. I'll be departing Wisconsin on 08 June. 

• 1 month later...

If anyone is planning to head north and looking for a tire swap - I was in contact with the Yamaha dealer in Whitehorse, Yukon. Their tire prices are surprisingly good (less than $100 more than Revzilla for TKC80s). If you want to pre-order tires they want half down as a deposit and ask that you order one month out. 

• Premium Member

Not Alaska, but headed for the Rockies in June for a couple of weeks to ride with my son who just moved to Boulder last summer.  Looking forward to some epic riding in the Rockies and down the back side to the desert southwest.

Rob

I can vouch for Yukon Yamaha,  I've been there several times over the years on my northern trips. Last year I stopped there to change my oil after a ride up to Tuktoyaktuk, they have a concrete patio for customers to do their own tire & oil changes and repairs. Riders of all brands go there, but if you expect them to do any work for you an appointment is needed. There is usually a long lineup of riders waiting as they open each morning, appointments get priority and all the others have to wait in turn. They don't loan tools, but did provide me with a drain pan.

image.jpeg

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

21 minutes ago, gv550 said:

They don't loan tools, but did provide me with a drain pan.

All I need is a jack, or block of wood, or something to hold up one end of the bike while on the centerstand so I can remove a wheel for the tire swap. Is something like that available? 

I read lots of horror stories about price gouging on tires and that you should bring or ship your own. I couldn't ship tires there myself for less than what they quoted me. 

Don't count on it. Make yourself a prop stick or hope another rider has a block or will hold your bike as you pull the axle.

I hear a lot of concerns about tires, but I've always left Ontario with new tires and got there and home without doing anything except checking pressures. Stuff can happen tho, but having new tires in Whitehorse won't prevent a flat in Inuvik, so I just wing it. 

Last year I ran Mitas E07 Dakar on my Tenere, previous trips were on my Kawasaki cruiser with Michelin Commanders. I know these won't fit your FJ, so not much help.

I shudder when I see riders loaded with heavy gear and carrying 2 spare tires heading up the Dempster, it would be very poor handling in already tough conditions.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Wouldn't make those luggage covers too pretty as they're likely to get "rocked" a bit during any non-paved Alaska riding :)

When I took my FJR to Prudhoe Bay it was already ten years old but still covered my low leading edges with gaffer tape, added plastic headlight protection, a sheet metal underside protector, etc. Ran Pilot Road 4s. Did an oil change in Fairbanks Wally parking lot. 

Rear went flat in Whitehorse. Soaped it and still couldn't locate the source of a moderate leak or would have plugged. It was a regional Monday holiday so most small businesses closed. Had to make the ferry in Skagway that evening so grabbed a can of fix a flat from Wally, topped up air a couple times along the way, and made it on the ferry in Skagway as it went flat. Got a new tire in Bellingham WA. 

It was a great trip but next time I'll fly in and rent a dual sport. 

Archived