Crankshaft position sensor

hawkeye

• Premium Member
Went to ride my 2015 to work this morning, hit the starter and it cranked but stumbled and wouldn't start. Cycled the ignition and got a fault code #012 -crankshaft position sensor.

Anyone else experience this? Bike has 26,550 miles and has had all recalls/tech bulletin service done. Valve check and new plugs about 2K ago.

• Premium Member
Did you cycle the key back off, and attempt to start it again? 
The CKP code will sometimes set as you described, and it does’t necessarily mean something is failed.

Clear it, note it, and see if it happens again.

-Skip

I turned it off, gave it about 10 seconds, then tried to start it again. Code was still there, bike would not turn over.

I was on the verge of running late for work so I jumped in ny pickup and left.
I'll give it another shot when I get home tonight.

I made the mistake of re-reading @nicksta43 's thread about the issues he's been having, and had an acute bout of paranoia, since I drive all day and have plenty of time to think about it.

Hopefully I'll have good news to report later.

Hmm.
Yeah, Nick’s situation is a bummer, but hopefully can be solved with pulling the head or other major engine work.

Usually the CKP wire runs along the RH side engine cases and connects just under the fuel tank. Did anything hit the RH side of the engine recently? I’d unplug the connector, clean it, plug it back in and attempt to start. It also might be worth seeing if something got stuck (it’s magnetic) to the sensor preventing it from generating a signal.

Was it really cold in the garage? Battery weak? Verify you have 12.5 volts minimum across the battery before attempting to start.

The CKP generates an AC voltage signal which can technically only be measured with a Peak Voltage adapter installed on your VOM, or use the Ignition Mate which is an expensive factory tool. (A scope could be used also I guess although I’ve never tested them that way.

You should see 1-2 Vac at cranking speeds.
Trying clearing the code, cycle the key, and reattempt to start. Check the battery and charge if necessary while clearing the code first.

If you can’t clear the code, it means it may be Current, in which case I’d start troubleshooting. Or you could disconnect the battery for 30 seconds to attempt a “reset” of the ECM but I don’t know if that’ll work.

-Skip

• Premium Member
@SkipperT thanks for the info and suggestions. I'm in FL where it was in the upper 60s this morning, so cold isnt an issue, and battery is 9nly about 6 months old.

I'll check out the sensor wire and try unplugging and cleaning it.

Thanks again for the input.

Archived