New Rear Shock

So on New Years Eve after I took a sleeping pill and was half unconscious, apparently I bought a K-Tech Razor R  just before I went to bed.  I seemed to recall the next morning that I might have bought one and sure enough, I checked my email and there was the receipt. Fortunately I got the weight right. This isn't a terrible thing as I had been thinking about it since I picked up my new 2017 leftover FJ09 in November. Being that it's the middle of the winter and the extra expenses from Christmas I had planned to wait until spring. I guess in my sleeping pill induced fog, I get a  little more impatient than normal.

So ......Friday night I get home from work and my new shock was here. Rained all day Saturday so today (Sunday) I go out and install. I knew it was going to suck and it did. Sort of like solving a Rubic's Cube but it's in the low 40's and there's a sudden snow squall as soon as I get the old shock off. Essentially this is removing 4 bolts and fitting the new shock and reinstalling the 4 bolts. 5 hours later I done. 

So even though it's dark, roads are still wet and temp is dropping in to the 30's I go out for a test ride. No big revelations, the bike definitely feels better but I haven't set up and tested with the out of the box settings. Looks like the weather is getting very cold for the foreseeable future so I'll see when I can set up and ride more.

I do have a few questions for anyone who is familiar with K-Tech Razor. The quality is very nice. It looks like a well made and designed product. I was surprised when I compared it to the stock. The stock shock is a lot beefier.  The stock spring is longer and larger diameter than the K-Tech and yet the K-Tech is rated for  a lot heavier rider (up to 250 lbs).  I've read that the original shock is for about a 185 lb. rider. I am wondering how this can be. I'm not doubting that this is a good product, I'm just trying to figure out the differences in size. Hopefully someone with more expertise in motorcycle shocks can give some insight.

You'll be OK. Last summer I purchased a nearly new 2015 FJ-09 and was setting off on a 4,000 mile trip but the OEM shock was so jarring I decided I needed a new shock NOW. I bought a K-Tech Razor Lite from Revzilla and it arrived two days later. They gave vague spring rate options, and the spring that arrived seemed a little light for my 225 pound riding weight. After a two-hour installation, I checked sag and after loosening the lock screw I tightening the pre-load many turns. Adjusting the pre-load was much easier than the OEM shock - every turn or so I needed to use a few light taps from a long punch in order to get the shock wrench to bite, but FAR better than adjusting the OEM shock.

My 225 lb. riding weight is without cross-country gear, so I was a bit worried when I loaded the bike down with camping, cooking, tools, and other gear. Well - long story short - the shock performed exceptionally and left nothing to be desired on my trip. It was an excellent upgrade, and stills works perfectly for my weekend riding through the twisties with nothing but myself aboard. 

Set your sag and enjoy!

• Supporting Member
40 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

So on New Years Eve after I took a sleeping pill and was half unconscious, apparently I bought a K-Tech Razor R  just before I went to bed.

Ya gotta love those "less than sober" online purchases.  I have fallen victim to Amazon's one-click checkout on many occasions, last week I discovered that I ordered a case of synthetic bike oil...  You could have done much worse, at least you got a cool new shock!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

58 minutes ago, betoney said:

Ya gotta love those "less than sober" online purchases.  I have fallen victim to Amazon's one-click checkout on many occasions, last week I discovered that I ordered a case of synthetic bike oil...  You could have done much worse, at least you got a cool new shock!!

I know but $800 was a little extreme. Anyway.....it is way cool and it's installed. 

Archived