90 MPH Vibration

Hello, new to the FJ-09 and I have been searching for some info. I noticed a pretty strong vibration from my front end at about 90 mph. It doesnt feel like a tank slapper, it doesnt feel like like an oscillating vibration, it doesnt feel like a chatter, I looked down and the front brake calipers looked like they were vibrating like a powered sander and I could feel it through the bars strongly. Its not due to strong acceleration but cruising. I dont feel it below that speed. I am getting new tires anyway and the current ones dont look like they were balanced initially so that is going to be my first attempt to solve the problem.

Happy to read a thread about it if someone could send me the link but I couldnt find one in the search.

Thanks. JD

Welcome neighbor

I can't say I've ever looked at the front caliper while going 90mph or at least if I did nothing grabbed my attention. I see cruising speeds of 90mph pretty much every day on the express lanes in Woodbridge going to/from work and the bike is definitely more "buzzy" around 90mph but nothing i would call abnormal. 

I'll have to look down at my caliper this afternoon and see if it looks like it's vibrating. Do you have the original tires? They suck. Mine were cupped so bad before they got replaced that even with upgraded suspension it would make the front end do weird things.

Edited by dbeau

Don't have a vibe a 90 but am probably not going to see what my calipers are doing at that speed unless I set up the go pro to get a look. 

An out of balance front might have that effect. For me the sensation is a vibe that pulses across a certain speed range. Usually lower than that but I encourage riders to purposely remove all weight, one wheel at a time, and ride the bike at a range of speeds so they know what to expect from an out of balance condition.

Would expect to see some weight on the front rim but newer bikes are coming with rears that don't need it so with the right brand of tire wouldn't be surprised. Am now in the habit of taping weights as well. One, because color-matched tape is easier than stocking different color weights for various bikes. Two there's nothing like riding in August and seeing the trail of goo from a stick on weight working itself to freedom :) 

12 hours ago, chitown said:

Don't have a vibe a 90 but am probably not going to see what my calipers are doing at that speed unless I set up the go pro to get a look. 

An out of balance front might have that effect. For me the sensation is a vibe that pulses across a certain speed range. Usually lower than that but I encourage riders to purposely remove all weight, one wheel at a time, and ride the bike at a range of speeds so they know what to expect from an out of balance condition.

Would expect to see some weight on the front rim but newer bikes are coming with rears that don't need it so with the right brand of tire wouldn't be surprised. Am now in the habit of taping weights as well. One, because color-matched tape is easier than stocking different color weights for various bikes. Two there's nothing like riding in August and seeing the trail of goo from a stick on weight working itself to freedom :) 

Great insight. I will report back once I get the new shoes. For reference, when I was looking at the calipers at speed, I was just glancing down the fork through the fairing, not like keeling over the outside of the bike Rossi style to take a look...in case anyone was wondering.

5 hours ago, Jordan Denmark said:

Great insight. I will report back once I get the new shoes. For reference, when I was looking at the calipers at speed, I was just glancing down the fork through the fairing, not like keeling over the outside of the bike Rossi style to take a look...in case anyone was wondering.

haha well I tried both methods on my way home yesterday to get a good look at the calipers and neither allowed me to decide whether your situation sounds abnormal or not. 

By that I mean my calipers were vibrating to a degree that seems similar to a electric sander but I don't necessarily think that is abnormal.