Instant Paddock Stand

woozer

JackStand_zpstwk63iui.jpg
My last paddock stand went with the last bike, and I figured I wouldn't need another since the FJ has a centerstand. But then I went to put on the reflective wheel stripes and was scratching my head how to get the front wheel off the ground? All you need are two auto-type jack stands.
Put the bike on the center stand, and have a pal lean on the passenger seat to push the rear wheel down to the ground, thus lifting the front tire off the ground. Slip the edges of the jack stands under the bottom edges of the forks, and gently set the bike down. Both wheels should now be 1/2" or so off the ground and turn freely, the bike is super stable. Reverse steps to put it back down on the ground again.

I dragged my front pin stand from the dusty corner of the garage to see if either of the steering stem pins I had would fit, only to encounter a rubber cover/plug obscuring the hole in the bottom of the steering stem. It was late and dim in the garage, so I didn't investigate further.

I think it looks like Yamaha used rubber for the lower steering stem bearing races. KIDDING!

There really is a rubber cover/plug on the bottom of the stem though. Haven't yet checked to see if it is easily removable/replaceable.

Edit:  A second failsafe would be to stack some wood blocks under the headers, in case the stands slip if you take the wheel off.

I dragged my front pin stand from the dusty corner of the garage to see if either of the steering stem pins I had would fit, only to encounter a rubber cover/plug obscuring the hole in the bottom of the steering stem. It was late and dim in the garage, so I didn't investigate further. 
I think it looks like Yamaha used rubber for the lower steering stem bearing races. KIDDING!

There really is a rubber cover/plug on the bottom of the stem though. Haven't yet checked to see if it is easily removable/replaceable.

Edit:  A second failsafe would be to stack some wood blocks under the headers, in case the stands slip if you take the wheel off.

Yes it's just soft rubber and pops out easily.

Archived