OEM heated grips diameter - too small

caribou

Did 3000km with OEM heated grips and just can't get used to how small they feel. I've got large hands and I have to squeeze throttle super gently with thumb and index finger for smooth operation. 
What would be most effective way to enlarge grips, could I just install bigger aftermarket grips over OEM heating elements?

Yes Grip Puppies and many other porous rubber over grips will solve your problem. It won't detour the heat, just a little slower heat up time.
I did the same on my Triumph Explorer which is also has sensitive throttle. By the way, you will get use to it.

• Premium Member
I also have large hands and would prefer a thicker grip. I will probably also try the grip puppies. Let us know how it goes it you do your first.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Just ordered some Grab-On grip covers as Amazon is out of genuine Grip Puppies. Not sure I like the seam on the other option, Grip Buddies. Time will tell. Longevity is the only issue that I can see. I will post a review when they arrive.
Order the 1.25 to 1.45 in. size, as my heated grips measured to 1.300 inch diameter. Three decimal places for you know who. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
we have puppies available in the UK - I'm going to try some

Lewis: get back under your bridge :P
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
and they arrived today so well done to the vendor on Amazon, Motorcycleparts UK 

Fitted in minutes using an allen key to undo the hand guard bolt and some soapy water as stated on the packaging. Put some gloves on as it's easier to get a decent grip to slide them on. 

Will report back once I have ridden a bit. Nice squidgy foam and I'm hoping the increased diameter will be easier on the mouse/keyboard affected joints. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
and they arrived today so well done to the vendor on Amazon, Motorcycleparts UK  
Fitted in minutes using an allen key to undo the hand guard bolt and some soapy water as stated on the packaging. Put some gloves on as it's easier to get a decent grip to slide them on. 

Will report back once I have ridden a bit. Nice squidgy foam and I'm hoping the increased diameter will be easier on the mouse/keyboard affected joints. 

Hey Wessie, how did the new grips go?

• Premium Member
I like them - more comfy than stock grips due to the softer foam and greater circumference. May have the added benefit of attenuating some of the vibes too.

Archived