Avoid Yamaha engine guards

• Premium Member
I picked up the Yamaha engine guards yesterday and I have to say that they're pretty disappointing.

The photo on Yamaha's website looks like you've got a nice metal guard with plastic accent.  The reality is that the plastic is the bulk of the unit, and it's thin cheesy brittle-feeling plastic like the kind used to make toys for children.  There are rubber bumpers that presumably provide most of the protection -- they're certainly the only part of the thing that feels substantial.  The metal plate isn't much more than for show, held on to the plastic by two bolts into rubber expansion bits.

The bolts used to attach the guards to the bike are held on by nothing more than plastic.  I'd be surprised if the thing didn't tear itself apart in anything more than a parking lot tipover.

If they were selling this for $70 it would be one thing, but at $250 it should be much, much better quality.  If you're thinking of buying them I suggest going elsewhere, just about anything would be better designed with better materials.

I already bought the things and was foolish enough to take them out of the packaging so I'm going to use them for now, but ... yeesh.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Good to know. Thank you for posting this as it [em]was[/em] a consideration.
The frame sliders are due in today and I'll pick them up with the bike, probably on Friday.  Those look like they're solid metal, at least. 
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Thanks for the report. Sorry this was so poorly made. Can you carefully repackage this and return it? If you bought this from a local dealer maybe they will return it anyway. Call Yamaha customer service. You will be no worse off than you are now. They may say yes to the return. Can't hurt to ask. Hope all works out.

Kurt

• Premium Member
The dealer is good and might well take them back anyway, but I never feel good about returning stuff that's clearly been messed with. Maybe I'm wrong and they're more durable than they look. In any case, they do look like they'd be fine if I tip over in a parking lot, which has been known to happen, so I'll just use 'em until they die then give a destruction report :-).
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

The dealer is good and might well take them back anyway, but I never feel good about returning stuff that's clearly been messed with. Maybe I'm wrong and they're more durable than they look. In any case, they do look like they'd be fine if I tip over in a parking lot, which has been known to happen, so I'll just use 'em until they die then give a destruction report :-).
Definitely not worth the money....saw some crash pics from a French Tracer driver....and they don't do anything to protect..

Jimf, can you post a photo of the guards in question? I have some on back order, just want to make sure it's not the ones I have on order. I think mine are mounted on the upper part of the engine on the head. Thanks!

• Premium Member
Jimf, can you post a photo of the guards in question? I have some on back order, just want to make sure it's not the ones I have on order. I think mine are mounted on the upper part of the engine on the head. Thanks!
Here it is on the Yamaha parts page: 

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/fz-fj-engine-guards?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28&f=2015|235&dealernumber=

The frame sliders, which are mounted high, do look like beefy units to me although I haven't seen them in person yet.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
These H&B look awesome, although bit pricey: 
H&B engine bars
That's cheaper than the Yamaha engine guards :-/. 
I have been eyeing the SW Motech crash guards:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-ktm-1190-adventure-1190-adventure-r-33

(the URL says KTM, but it's showing up as the FJ guards for me.  Weird.)

I think the Yamaha frame sliders are good enough for me but the crash guards would give me a perfect place to mount driving lights, in addition to any protection they might provide.  I'm sitting on the parts I already ordered, though; I'll run what I bought and maybe down the road make a switch.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I lied, I decided I didn't want to chance the cheesy engine guards and went with these instead:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/woodcraft-stator-cover-protector-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/woodcraft-clutch-cover-protector-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09

Nice stainless-steel sliders TYVM.  Now we'll see if the dealer will take the lousy ones back sans packaging, otherwise maybe someone on eBay wants a great deal on them.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived