FJ-09 shad top rack + hard case $441

Purchased the Side cases from SHAD and just received an update on the new FJ-09 top rack, I like the difference on price for their case shad SH50 which I found on Yamaha site for $365 vs Yamaha SH50 for $$459.95 and Up.

Yamaha Case (Ref: 1MC-F0754-91-30) 
Shad Case   (Ref: D0B5000)

Yamaha Rear rack (Ref: 2PP-F48D0-V0-00
) $171

Shad Rear rack (Ref: Y0MT95ST)  $125

The shad guys give me a discount code for forum members (SHADFJ09) if I order directly from them since nobody has the rack yet (available April 21st)  and will get the case for $328, looking around the reviews for this case are great but I don't know how it looks on a FJ-09

shad top mount + sh50 case: $441 (with discount)

http://www.shadonline.com/yamaha-fz-09-2014-shad-top-case-support-brackets-p/setfj09.htm

shad3799.pdfa_shad5291.jpg

The side cases come with three cylinders and keys to match the 3 cases which I find it pretty cool. 

Thanks for the discount code.
I have been looking at these cases too, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
By the way your picture appears to have the SH48 top case and not the SH50 you linked.

I've been considering the SH-48 myself, but I sure wish that carbon color plate was an ordering option, and not another $75.

I've been shopping for a top case for at least a week, and I seem to find something I don't like about every one.
For example, it's typical to have a notch on the plate sticking up to latch the case to. I'd rather the notch protrude from the case, and the plate have a hole like the OEM plate does, so I can use it without the case without worrying about breaking that little tab off.

I guess I'm being picky.

• Premium Member
I've been considering the SH-48 myself, but I sure wish that carbon color plate was an ordering option, and not another $75. 
I've been shopping for a top case for at least a week, and I seem to find something I don't like about every one.
For example, it's typical to have a notch on the plate sticking up to latch the case to. I'd rather the notch protrude from the case, and the plate have a hole like the OEM plate does, so I can use it without the case without worrying about breaking that little tab off.

I guess I'm being picky.
Get a Monokey SR2122 kit & either a matching Givi or Kappa box 
You will have to try very hard to damage the tabs on the base plate. These are designed to hold onto 10kg of box and luggage as you lean to go around corners at high velocity. The design limit is 10kg but I've often put at least 50% more on the plate, with the load spread across the 3 mounting points.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Get a Monokey SR2122 kit & either a matching Givi or Kappa box
Is that the one with the round silver Givi logo on the side of the plate?  Much of the over branding of luggage I don't like, but something about that round emblem irritates me for no rational reason.

I'm sure the tabs are very tough as Givi has a great reputation, I just don't understand the design theory of putting them on the plate instead of the case by most manufacturers.  I would have the rack on 100% of the time, and the top case in use maybe 3 or 4 times per year.  It just makes more sense to me to have the hooks on the case, but maybe there is something I'm not thinking of.

In my shopping, another thing I didn't like about the Givi was it appeared you need the key to open the case whether locked or not, something I really did like about the Shad.

Did I mention I was being overly picky?  :D

• Premium Member
One of the Givi plates has a silver logo, the M5, the other doesn't the M7 IIRC.

I prefer the Givi system. The back of the case is flat and more practical in use off the bike. In your hotel room it works just like a suitcase, sitting on a flat surface without wobbling about. There are no bits to protrude out to scratch furniture, snag on your clothing as you carry it and you can easily get it into storage at home when not in use. If you store it in your garage on the floor, then there are no bits sticking out to catch on other stuff as you walk by.

I like the idea you have to close the lid and lock it. It's not a huge inconvenience as you aren't going to be opening it when riding along. If you leave a case unlocked there is always the chance it will open when riding along - I have a long list of mates who have left their underwear strewn along a French autoroute! Plus from a security point of view, you are not going to walk away from the bike and leave the luggage unlocked.

I've used Givi stuff since 1994 so I guess I find it intuitive to use. The Yamaha side boxes fitted to my last bike, a Super Tenere, were okay but not to the same quality as Givi and the locks were quite flimsy and a little awkward to use (many people bent or broke keys). I used my Givi topbox more often than the side cases. That box has recently been fitted to a 4th bike of mine and the box was not new when I acquired it in 1996. Givi luggage is stuff you can use for life!
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks for the discount code. I have been looking at these cases too, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
By the way your picture appears to have the SH48 top case and not the SH50 you linked.
Yes you are right but Shad doesn't have any picture with the SH50 on the FJ-09, this is the only pic I found on their site. I see most of the FJR riders use SH50 on their bikes, there are many threads about this.
I like how the SH48 looks on the bike, I called shad and they told me the SH48 is the only one with double pillion as backrest ($46 extra), the SH50 has the backrest included on the price but not as comfortable as the SH48 if you have a passenger ;(

Givi mounting plate cost $59 extra, with shad is included on all cases (good point) I like the fact that you don't need the key every time you want to open the case. 

I found this article from Webbikeworld, very helpful and it looks Shad is the manufacturer of all BMW and Yamaha Tenere cases, their logo is at the bottom of the cases. It looks the brand is couple years in US but very well known in Europe.

I will make a decision between the two models and will post pictures ;)

webbikeworld review on shad cases

Nice review.

I went on their website to see how much it would be for sidebags, topcase and mounting brackets, etc. When I put in the code above it just said it was invalid. I didn't try to chat with the representative yet to see if they would give me the 10% as I am "working" :). Would be nice to offset the shipping they want to charge though.

Purchased the Side cases from SHAD and just received an update on the new FJ-09 top rack, I like the difference on price for their case shad SH50 which I found on Yamaha site for $365 vs Yamaha SH50 for $$459.95 and Up. 
Yamaha Case (Ref: 1MC-F0754-91-30) 
Shad Case   (Ref: D0B5000)

Yamaha Rear rack (Ref: 2PP-F48D0-V0-00
) $171

Shad Rear rack (Ref: Y0MT95ST)  $125

The shad guys give me a discount code for forum members (SHADFJ09) if I order directly from them since nobody has the rack yet (available April 21st)  and will get the case for $328, looking around the reviews for this case are great but I don't know how it looks on a FJ-09

shad top mount + sh50 case: $441 (with discount)

http://www.shadonline.com/yamaha-fz-09-2014-shad-top-case-support-brackets-p/setfj09.htm

shad3799.pdfa_shad5291.jpg

The side cases come with three cylinders and keys to match the 3 cases which I find it pretty cool. 

The "SHADFJ09" code no longer works.  They said it was taken away after they put the free SH36 Case Liners on there.  They did give me a code for 5% off one time.  It wont work for the side cases and the top case together, but it will work for one or the other.  Better than nothin'.  Use "5OFFSHAD".

I guess I'm being picky.
I just ordered one on line.  I tried to pick the separate mount and the top case with the Carbon Fiber, but the web site makes you pick $35 accessory with the Mount.  its a mounting plate, which is also included with the Top Case... so I contacted their 'chat' sales team.  Pointed out that I was unable to order the carbon fiber because it was not available in the Mount/Top case fitment as on option (silver or titanium) and that I could not add the mount only option to the cart without it adding the base plate which is required and redundant.   
They had me place my order for the top case, give them the order number and they internally noted on the order that it should be carbon fiber on the top case.  I got 2 email invoices the first using the 5% off coupon.. the second took that off, but did not add a charge for the carbon fiber..... so presumably I'll get the carbon fiber without the $75 charge as it is not on the invoice.  Of course I won't know until I actually get the top case to verify that its got the carbon fiber.

Interesting...of course when they told me to just add the rear rack, I pointed out it would not allow me to do so without selecting the $35 mounting plate which is included with the top case, so I didn't want that on the order. The rep went away to research several times before they came back with them putting a note on the order. Of course, until I actually get it... I don't really know if I got it or not??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived