• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Luggage Options

Guest tripletrouble

Guest tripletrouble
I spoke with my local dealer the other day about pricing for the side bags. It was basically $975 for all the parts including the bags with a big "BUT".

Yamaha does not suggest using a top case with side cases because of the potential to overload the bike. It's still too new to know if you can mount both. I asked the parts counter, but he did not know if the mounting hardware was compatible to mount both at the same time. 

Is this an issue for anyone else?

The mounting of the luggage rack should work with the side cases as the side case mounts are already there.

People have been using the side cases AND top case on FJR's with no problems as long as you don't overload them, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Maybe check some online dealers for some better pricing on the side bags.

Would think maybe your dealer would work a better price if/when you buy the bike from them?

Guest tripletrouble
The breakdown

- 400 ea for side cases https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/shop/product/details/hard-saddlebags?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2015|235&dealernumber=

- 90 side case mounts (not on bike) https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/shop/product/details/hard-saddlebag-mounts?dealernumber=&f=2015|235

- 80 lock kit https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/shop/product/details/side-case-and-trunk-lock-set?dealernumber=&f=2015|235

With tax and a little discount, it comes out to 975. Havent found an online dealer yet to source these. The moderator posted ebay links but those were about 150 over msrp each. 

I'm really thinking that I might have to eat my deposit, save a couple more months and get a R1200GS due to the loading issue. 

I'm making a spreadsheet now to compare cost of the 2 how I'd like them kitted out. 

BMW_R1200GS_fully_kitted.jpg

Has Yamaha posted the capacity of the FJ-09 luggage?
On Yamaha's website it lists the side cases at 22L each with a weight capacity of 22lbs. (10kg).

Some have spoke about using side cases from an FJR and those bags have a capacity of 30L. 

Not sure of their weight capacity, but most full-face helmets would fit in a FJR side case.

I couldn't find any weight rating for the accessory luggage rack.

As I recall (AIR), the weight rating of the FJ tail rack, an accessory, is 11 lbs. You might note that all side case luggage ratings, for the FJR, TDM, FZ-01, etc. that use similar hanging systems is, AIR, around 22-26 lbs. The top case on the FJR is, AIR, 17 lbs. The FZ-09 luggage rack is 11 lbs. Top boxes weigh about 9-12 lbs, FJR side cases weigh 11.5 lbs ea.(I just weighed them). I have always assumed that the load limit is for the contents. I may be wrong. So a luggage rack that is rated at 11 lbs can carry box plus 11 lbs. Nobody listens to this crap, as it is the mfr. covering their butts standards. I have never heard of a side case failure on an FJR. Many pack them to the hilt. I have heard of FJR tail rack subframe failures, but not with the OEM Top box arrangement. I say, use common sense. 1. Don't carry stuff you don't need. 2. learn to pack with even weight distribution. 3. If packing heavy, put it on the back seat. (passenger, tent, wet duffles, etc). 4. If you have three hard bags, leave one empty (top case=even weight) for clothing layers to fill after the morning ride and rain gear after use, helmet at restaurant stop, etc. 5. If you don't need all three, take the side bags or top box off, as you will do better in the wind and at higher rates of speed. Yamaha indicates not to use the top case with the use of side cases on the FJR and FJ as they don't fair well at high speeds. I know from experience that if your rear shock is gone, braking at 120mph will get the rear moving in a very disturbing motion. I think Yamaha has experienced unstable conditions above 85 and just don't know how capable the riders are. Now have you ever seen these pictures of a whole family, grandparent wife, neighbor, 3 kids and a couple babies on a 250 cc standard in India, and they do it every day. Now if you want to carry a lot, like the BMW above, get with TouraTech, SW-Motech, Happy-Trails, Jessie, or other specilty mfr. and it will be made with metal not plastic. I am sure they will be all over this machine in the next year. They have to get the bike first, which I am also sure they have already done and are working on it. Just a note, if the total carry load for the bike is 395, add it up: Top Box 30, Side Cases 66, other accessories 6, rider 170 = 272, leaving you room for 123 lb. passenger or luggage on the back seat. BTW, you can mount both the side and top case at the same time.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived