• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New from near Memphis

1moreroad

• Premium Member
I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and had some questions answered by Deer Slayer via PM.

The FJ-09 is the first motorcycle that has gotten me truly excited in over 10 years.  Today I had the opportunity to "test sit" on it at the dealer.  I continue to be impressed.  I can flat foot it no problem (5'10").  Yes, the handlebars are wide, and, yes, the screen is a little far away, but I've read enough reviews of aftermarket screens to think that the second problem can be solved.  My hands sit nicely on the bar although I think hanging off on my rare track days (in the mid-00s, I used to do 1 - 2 days / year for the training and fun) will be difficult.  The Memphis dealer is having demos of the FJ, both FZ naked bikes, and the FJR next month.  I plan to go.

A little history about me:

I started riding in 2001 to get through Los Angeles traffic faster.  I think I was the 5th owner of my first bike (and know of at least two more owners after me), a beater 1991 EX-500.  I put 10,000 miles on that bike in 10 months, but came to spend more hours repairing the bike than riding it. The EX was replaced with a 2001 ZX-6R with 3600 miles on it.  That bike truly saved me HOURS commuting (carpool lane and legal lane splitting), toured with me in 25 states, and completed 1 certified Iron Butt.  I sold it in 2008 with about 77,000 miles on it.

The ZX6R was replaced by a WR250X.  The WR250X is good around town.  It was FANTASTIC on Deal's Gap (better than the ZX6R) and up in the Daniel Boone National Forest.  It was even fun on local dry lake bottoms and in the Stony Lonesome OHV area in Cullman, AL with a set of knobbies on it.  Getting to all the far away places; however, sucked.  It's a brilliant motorcycle under 50 mph and in the corners, but the fun factor quickly falls off as roads get straighter and faster.  That I put only ~ 1/5 the mileage on the bike and visited 8 states in the same amount of time as the ZX6R says volumes about the bike itself as well as my personal situation (family, work, etc.).

Enter the FJ.  I've had opportunities to put hundreds of miles on various Ducatis, Harleys, BMWs, Triumphs, cruisers, touring bikes, sport tourers, and sportbikes and I know what is important to me.  The FJ checks all the boxes.  I like 3 and 4 cylinder bikes.  Check.  Motorcycles shouldn't weigh over 500#. Check.  ~ 100 hp is good.  Check.  I want decent gas mileage > my wife's hybrid. Check.  I want hard bags with factory mounts for the first time. Check.  I want decent wind protection, but I don't need a BMW fairing. Check.  I need an open knee angle. Check.  I want to spend < $10k... well, it's close.

So here's my master plan, and my wife agrees - keep riding the WR.  Commute on it all summer and prove to myself I will actually do it.  Take a couple of tours this year on the WR and make sure I still like touring (haven't left the state on a motorcycle since 2011).  If I do all of that and enjoy it, sell the WR and go buy the FJ.

Thanks for the forum, and hello.

I agree with your assessment of the FJ. It checks all the boxes except one for me-- cruise control. You sound like me and like to do a lot of touring. I have two bikes with two different throttle locks and though they are nice for resting your wrist they don't work like real cruise control. I am hoping Yamaha will add cruise for the 2016 year model. The FJ09 is already throttle by wire and has the Super Tenere controls but the cruise switches are blocked off. It would not be hard for Yamaha to add cruise control. If it is added for 2016 I will be first in line to buy one. If you are going to wait most of this year why not wait a little longer and see if the 2016 models have cruise. Just my 2 cents worth.  

• Premium Member
I hear you about the cruise control.  I think I lump that in with shaft drive and even ABS - if I had it, I would probably like it, but since I've never had it on a motorcycle, I don't miss it.  Just like cruise control on a car - never missed it driving across the country but now that I have it, I use it on any straight, low traffic stretch.  I actually dislike the ABS on my current car (kicks in too early), but that's a whole other discussion....

My biggest hope at the end of the year is to find a garage queen with almost no miles and a substantial $$$ discount in the winter.  I'll give up lots of 2016 upgrades for a big savings on a 2015 (with the recall work done). :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Guess I couldn't wait for the garage queen. Bought an FJ today after doing a Yamaha demo day. Ride the FJ twice as will add an FJR and an FZ07.

The dealer knocked some extra money off because of the demo day which was enough for me to buy. Generally impressed with the salesman, too - he had a quite under my name ready just based on our 1 brief meeting and 1 phone call.

• Premium Member
Guess I couldn't wait for the garage queen. Bought an FJ today after doing a Yamaha demo day. Ride the FJ twice as will add an FJR and an FZ07. 
The dealer knocked some extra money off because of the demo day which was enough for me to buy. Generally impressed with the salesman, too - he had a quite under my name ready just based on our 1 brief meeting and 1 phone call.
Don't you just love how spell check honks things up. Let me guess: 
Guess I couldn't wait for the garage queen. Bought an FJ today after doing a Yamaha demo day. Rode the FJ twice as well as an FJR and an FZ07.

The dealer knocked some extra money off because of the demo day which was enough for me to buy. Generally impressed with the salesman, too - he had a quote under my name ready just based on our 1 brief meeting and 1 phone call.

How did I do?amazon_zpsfidrgfkm.gif
Just funning I hope you know.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new ride.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Don't you just love how spell check honks things up. Let me guess: 
Guess I couldn't wait for the garage queen. Bought an FJ today after doing a Yamaha demo day. Rode the FJ twice as well as an FJR and an FZ07.

The dealer knocked some extra money off because of the demo day which was enough for me to buy. Generally impressed with the salesman, too - he had a quote under my name ready just based on our 1 brief meeting and 1 phone call.

How did I do?amazon_zpsfidrgfkm.gif
Just funning I hope you know.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new ride.

Ug. This is why I try to only read on my phone and not post.

Archived