New guy from New England

Jackal

Just picked up a new 2020 Tracer 900 GT last weekend. Traded in a 2020 FJR for it. I sold my last bike (‘05 R1) about 5 years ago because my 50+ year old neck couldn’t deal with the positioning anymore. I thought I was ‘mature” enough for the FJR. It’s a beautiful bike but just too big and heavy for the kind of riding I like. Then there was a recall on the tranny that requires the whole engine to be dropped and opened. My bike only had 1200 miles on it. That was all it took for me to trade it in.  
Anyway, I did some research and found this bike. I love it! It’s exactly what I should have gotten in the first place. It’s still pretty cold up here in Rhode Island so I still only have about 45 miles on it. But it’s 55 degrees right now so I’m gonna stop typing and start riding! 
Looking forward to getting lots of useful and fun info from this forum. Thanks!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, Jackal said:

Traded in a 2020 FJR

I was going to ask if you kept your touring bags, but I suppose, since the GT comes with city bags, perhaps they're good enough?

Congrats on the new ride!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Welcome and great choice on the bike.  I had a 2012 CBR600RR and then a 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 ABS but retired and decided I wanted to do some motorcycle touring found a BMW F800GT.  Nice bike but motor was a real letdown after the high reving I4s with lots of peaky horsepower, a good touring bike though.  It broke last September at the start of a trip turned adventure.  Fixed it in a campground found a Tracer GT and traded for it.  The Tracer GT is a great bike.  I've looked at the FJR for many years but even though it is a lightweight among the big sport touring bikes it is still a big heavy bike.  The Tracer GT is not a flyweight but is very light on it's feet and handles well at low speeds (much better than my sports bike did) is easy to take off and has loads of power - a fun attitude.

@knyte cracked me up asking about the bags.  I like the Tracer GT bags but do appreciate the narrower profile they give but the extra space would be nice.  As for me I pack till everything is full then decide I have more than enough and leave.