Tracer for next year!

Mark Jackson

Hi all, I'm based in Edinburgh, Scotland and will soon have a Tracer 900! Loved the Tracer as soon as I saw one in 2015. Always loved triples, started off on a KH250, then a Suzuki GT750 'Kettle' before moving onto big Zeds. Went back to Triples when the Hinckleys came out before going back to  Kawasaki again (had a few mechanical problems with the Triumphs, ahem!) I've spent the last twenty years racking up 92,000 miles on my Kawasaki ZRX1200R with no problems (mileage would have been way more but I'm fortunate to also have a '77 Z1000 which I can't stop riding) I've made various changes to the ergonomics to the ZRX to facilitate my old bones but have taken things as far as I can now. The Tracer has a perfect riding position for me along with that fantastic triple engine, and next year I'll have the money to buy one. Despite the Tracer being on it's third version it's the 2015 model which I still want. I have found your Forum very handy for filling in the extra bits of information I need in preparation for looking for and eventually purchasing a Tracer. Between now and February '22 I may have a few questions to ask, indeed my first question is; Could somebody measure the distance between the pillion seat and the pillion footpegs, I've modified the pegs on the ZRX and am curious if they will match. Thanks in anticipation.

• Thumbsup 1

Hi Mark and welcome to the Forum. I have been running the mark one version of the tracer for the past three years and have enjoyed every mile. As you said it was the engine and riding position that convinced me, I have no regrets and it has been a fantastic bike to own. Have in mind that the swing arm length is longer on the mark two Tracer but I'm not sure if that will change the pillion seat to footpeg measurement. I can measure mine if you need the info.

• Thumbsup 1

I HGP, that would be great if you could measure the distance. If you take the measurement from the centre of the seat and draw a vertical line down then draw a horizontal line from the pegs that should match where I've taken the measurement from my ZRX. Steve is going to measure his GT as well. Although a Mk1 is first on the list I sometimes find myself looking at the Mk2 so it'll be good to know the difference between the two bikes, cheers.

@Mark Jackson very difficult to know where to measure from (have sent you another PM), however, in this pic the yellow line measures 20inches the red line measures 24inches. both measured to the top of the uncompressed seat just in front of the rear grab handles.

Hope that helps if not see my alternative suggestion in the PM I sent.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_5117a.jpg.b71db75a22a780da5127bee2be593996.jpg

Edited by bowlin01

Hi Steve, that's absolutely perfect! On my ZRX the vertical yellow line is 18" and the red line is 20". This indicates the pegs are further forward on the GT. My wife has ridden pillion with me for 30 years and certainly will not get on with the extra leg room. We spend most of our time hooning round the fantastic roads in Scotland and the Borders, she likes the pegs in a certain position so she can brace her body using her legs on the pegs. My other concern with the Mk2 Tracer was folk have mentioned the riders feet fouling the pillions while on the balls of their feet, this will certainly happen with the Mk2. This is really good to know as there are no Tracer's in Edinburgh at the moment to test ride and 'winter's coming' so I'm now pretty confident she'll be happy on a Tracer Mk1 or a Mk2 with Mk1 footpegs. Much obliged for your help with this, cheers.

Mark

Hi Mark I can measure mine up at some point tomorrow but I don't think their will be much difference in the measurements, I'm sure the swing arm lengthened by a couple of inches on the later models didn't affect the seat position. My riding buddy has the newer mark two Tracer 900 and riding both back to back there is no significant difference in the riding experience. His is definitely the better bike but for me the upgrades (clock display, suspension panniers) did not justify the extra cost. I do hanker after cruise control but for my riding it isn't needed for 90% of the time I am on the bike so I will put up with a cheap throttle lock.