Stock CCT vs Manual

KTMKenny

Reason im asking is mine is failing.  Daily winter commuter , 31k    2015 tracer.

Some guy showed me pics of his cam chain guides after Yamaha had to strip the engine back to get the entire system out.

It was destroyed by the manual APE tensioner.  He probably would not admit it, but it looked to be to tight. 

Has the stock yamaha CCT been fixed since 2005. To prevent failure?  Should I just order  NEW stock Yam CCT? 

I hear that the cam chain length varies with temperature .   So I cant imagine the manual type could possibly compensate when the engine heats up.  Or when its cold.   Im already 2 miles up the road bythe time I get to normal temp.    The cam chain noise stops when the engine heats to around 65C

Edited by KTMKenny

• Supporting Member

That might be subjective.  I've got what the dealership told me is the '3rd generation' CCT installed as a recall, and it's never been a problem in 10k+ kms except for a wee bit of rattle now and then that always clears up, however I think there are several folks here running manual tensioners with an equal trouble-free experience.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

Never a problem in 100k miles with the two MCCT in my 98 Firestorm or with the one after +40k miles in my fastest red 15.  Proper adjustment is the key.  For initial installation, which offers the opportunity to check the valves, and after the cams are out for valve lash shim changes, you measure chain deflection between the cams.  But then I warm up the engine until coolant is flowing through the radiator and the fan comes on, then while idling, I back off the MCCT locknut and adjustment rod bolt until the chain starts rattling slightly, then I turn in the adjuster until the rattle JUST barely subsides, then holding the adjuster, carefully tighten the locknut.  Finally, after running long and hard, preferably in temps between 55 ~ 85 F, I stop and listen to the chain and tweak the MCCT accordingly.

Literally tens of thousands have installed MCCT without ill effects.  The guy in question must have over tightened his...

BTW,  have the APE MCCT and the 2nd gen Yamaha automatic CCT installed per the TSB also failed within a few thousand miles; hence the APE.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I remember I was a bit anxious about chain tension after installing the APE CCT. The consensus at the time was ~9 exposed threads, and that seems to have worked well for me over the years. A sound/rattle check is a good idea after a short ride. I checked the guide for wear twice since 2017, and each time all was good. That general guidance could of course be incorrect if the design changed in some way since then.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 1 month later...

My 2015 came to me with the original automatic tensioner still working fine at about 22,000 miles. I didn't feel like taking chances, so I installed an APE manual tensioner.

I gotta be honest: I couldn't hear a damn bit of difference while trying to adjust the thing by ear, at least not without getting pretty extreme in the adjustments. So I just adjusted mine by feel with that little side cover on the right off so I could get a good "finger reading" on how tight the actual chain was (engine not running, of course!), and matching the feel it had with the original CCT.