INSURANCE high on this bike for you??

Hey guys/gals...I am nearing ever closer to purchasing my FJ, should be in the next week or two. I was gathering insurance quotes for the bike and they seem outlandishly high.  I realize there can and will be drastic differences based on personal history with these quotes, but I have a fairly clean record and the cheapest quote I got was $1150/yr for basic full coverage with the $1000 deductible for collision and theft. Is this typical?  If I can't find anything cheaper, this may be the deal breaker for me.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Hey guys/gals...I am nearing ever closer to purchasing my FJ, should be in the next week or two. I was gathering insurance quotes for the bike and they seem outlandishly high.  I realize there can and will be drastic differences based on personal history with these quotes, but I have a fairly clean record and the cheapest quote I got was $1150/yr for basic full coverage with the $1000 deductible for collision and theft. Is this typical?  If I can't find anything cheaper, this may be the deal breaker for me.  Thank you in advance for your help. 

Where are you? 

• Premium Member
No - one hundred British pounds per annum, for a fully comprehensive policy giving cover across Europe
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I got the same coverage and 1000 dollar deductible for about 520.00 a year. With a DUI in 2009 and had my moto license for 3 yrs. now. My 2010 Kawasaki Versys 650 was about 350.00 a year? That's with geico insurance. Haven't tried any others yet?

I'm running into the same issue. I have no accidents on my record, no speeding tickets in the past 8 years, and the lowest quote I found was $1080 / year through Geico (which my auto is through at the moment). Progressive wanted $2200 / year! This is for full coverage as I am financing part of the bike.

Really causing me to think twice before getting this bike. Seems ridiculous to me as my '12 Ninja 650 was like $200 for the year. My brother's '13 street triple r was $100 for liability for a year. That was in Colorado; I moved to Hawaii recently so this might play into it, but really that much of a hike in prices? It technically has more power, but it should be classified as a tourer as opposed to the Ninja being a sport bike.

Blows my mind as my brand new Subaru '15 Legacy 3.6R was $1100 / year in Colorado, and is now only $700 / year in Hawaii for full coverage.

I'm pretty sure most insurance companies are confused by this bike at the moment. The previous thread suggested that they are just using the FZ-09 as a guideline, and that some companies view the FZ-09 as a super sport (lolwut?).

I'm going to keep shopping around, and hopefully once I get the VIN it will settle down. But $95 / month for bike insurance is a bit ridiculous for a clean rider.

I was currently quoted $1800 initially on GEICO and then $1400 weeks later with no difference. $1200 for progressive and I think $550 for Allstate. I'm 28, no tickets and no accidents in the last 5 years. I've also taken my MSF course within the last few years. I will be switching to Allstate as my auto insurance will be skightly cheaper too.

Dairyland also got me a great rate. $235/year for 50/100 coverage including collision and comprehensive w/$500 deductible for both the FJ-09 and my CBR500. 32/m, married, clean record, living in Ohio. This was one of the biggest deciding factors for me when choosing the FJ-09. I had been looking at the CBR650, which would have pushed my rates to $700/year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Had Foremost on my WR250X. They wanted $250/yr for that bike. 250/500/100 coverage with $1000 deductible on comp/collision.

For the FJ, the same coverage they wanted almost $1100!

Went with Allstate. I paid $575 for the same coverage (100/300/50 for the uninsured part) including my AMA discount.

Checked Progressive, too. They were about halfway between the other 2.

I won't support GEICO since they tried to get sportbike banned in the 80s.

Same here had Progressive on my 06 Vstrom $270 year full coverage. When I decided on getting my FJ 09 they wanted $1200 year so I checked with Geico and they wanted $2200 a year. I almost decided against getting this bike and the dealer told me to check State Farm. $308 a year, with my car, new motorcycle and a policy to cover $10,000 of photography equipment State farm was $70 a month cheaper than my previous insurer.

280$ year for full coverage. 1 million liability and road side assistance included. Now plates are 560/ year too here in Quebec...that's what expensive...fj09 was cheapest bike to insure vs others I was looking at..

Archived