Heated grips instructions

tommo

Hi all,

Does anyone have a copy of the heated grips installation instructions. I am seeing if I can fit aftermarket grips to work through the dash. Does the menu come up as soon as they are plugged in?

Thanks,

Tom

• Premium Member
Hi all, 
Does anyone have a copy of the heated grips installation instructions. I am seeing if I can fit aftermarket grips to work through the dash. Does the menu come up as soon as they are plugged in?

Thanks,

Tom
The instructions will only tell you to plug into the two separate open plugs located just below the front right of the tank. The menu does not come right up. You need to press the MENU button to get the grip diagram to come up, then set the intensity using the select switch rockers. You will not be able to use the menu system with aftermarket grips as something in the grips sends a signal to enable them. I imagine you can use the switched open plugs, but I am not sure.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
As @ULEWZ says, you cannot integrate aftermarket grips with the dash. Yamaha has proprietary electronics in their grips which interfaces via a canbus arrangement to the ECU.

You should be able to tap into the power connections in the wiring. I have not done this on the FJ09 but I did do it on a Super Tenere which shares the same technology.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Does anyone with a wiring diagram know what the yellow wire with a blue tracer is, in the bunch of heated grip connectors? 
Tom
From what I see, there is a yellow/red wire and a yellow wire in connector 34 and a yellow and grey wire in connector 35. The yellow/red wire is the power wire and the yellow wire from plug 34 flows on to the yellow wire of plug 35 in series. Then the Grey wire goes on to ground. Hope this helps.

Grip%20heater%20schematic_zpslnv4ctzw.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 4 months later...
Hmmmm.... From this diagram, what's turning on the stock heated grips over just any others?

Can't be feedback, has to be resistance value, and if it's in a certain range or not.

The grips are wired in series, power coming in yellow with red, then after the first grip, yellow to the next, and ground off the other side of the grips.

Anyone want to do me a favor? Take a resistance reading of BOTH by reading resistance from the yellow/red to gray, it's the only way the grips would be getting a signal back to the ECU, via the ground wire right? And it can only be resistance from the two wired in series.

If we can figure out what the resistance value is, adding in the right parts will get any heated grip to work in theory.

Archived