Torque Specs and Aftermarket Parts

• Supporting Member

Hey guys,

When aftermarket parts dictate torque specs on reused OEM nuts & bolts that differ from the manual specs, which do you generally go with?

In my case the instructions are stating to retighten the rear axle nut to 146Nm... against the manual's 105Nm.

I know from experience when reusing bolts & nuts to a go a bit lighter than the manual, especially rear sprocket nuts seems to strip easily if you reuse them and try to tighten to factory spec. But for this, a 40Nm torque increase for a splashguard seems high, I'd be scared of the rear wheel seizing.

On another note, their chain slack spec of 15-20mm in the instructions also seems dangeoursly tight; manual calls for 45-50mm.

Thanks for any input.

I would just go with stock settings, I can't see how a bracket like that would need so much extra torque.

That's the sort of torque specified for single sided swingarms with one large nut holding the wheel.

• Supporting Member

Compare the 2017 MT09 spec with model year that didn't have the OE splash guard on it. Should give you an idea anyway.

In the instructions you referenced, the locking wings on the nut don't seem to have a lot of thread engagement. Does that reflect whet you're seeing on your bike?

I don't see how adding this accessory would alter your OE specified chain slack. Follow the manual for that IMO.

• Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, piotrek said:

Compare the 2017 MT09 spec with model year that didn't have the OE splash guard on it. Should give you an idea anyway.

In the instructions you referenced, the locking wings on the nut don't seem to have a lot of thread engagement. Does that reflect whet you're seeing on your bike?

I don't see how adding this accessory would alter your OE specified chain slack. Follow the manual for that IMO.

Wow, good call on suggesting looking up the '17 MT09 with the OE splash guard, 150Nm:

872951690_Screenshot2022-04-13232854.png.3e4a2ec458b59782dd285d3069452f9e.png

That being said, it looks like all the torque values for MT09s are 146Nm to 150Nm depending on model year. I just checked my '15 FJ09 manual and it also recommends 150Nm; though I only ever torqued it to 130-ish Nm. Oddly enough the MT10 which puts out more horsepower calls for 137Nm. Being a new swingarm and all that on the T9GT, I'll torque to manual spec and keep an eye on it.

As for the chain slack instructions, it looks like the instructions for all of their splash guards for CP3 motorcycles says 15-20mm. So they probably just didn't update as the swingarms of Tracers got longer; I'll stick with manual recommendation.

Thanks!