Custom ear plugs

johan

• Premium Member
I don't like disposable ear plugs, they become uncomfortable after a while. In addition to motorcycle riding I also do quite a lot of travelling with frequent overnight flights. So yesterday I took the plunge and went for a fitting at Ultimate Ear. I'll get the plugs in two weeks, hopefully in time for my short trip to Wales. I ordered both the SoundEar and filtered plug. The SoundEar is the in ear monitor. Apparently widely used by Police - Scuff, have you used them?

They are expensive and by nature it is not possible to test before you buy, but I have read lots of good reviews. Will report back once I get them.

We did have special fitted earplugs. The difficulty was that we needed to hear the radio in the helmet as well. Fitting was a bit of a jiggle, but they were comfortable.
I am quite happy to use the disposable sponge ear plugs now, but as you say, removal and refitting every now and then allows a pressure release.

I would like to "hear" read your impressions. I took the plunge with a local outfit who did my custom ear plugs at the bike show in Edmonton last year. They are by far much better than the cheapo foam plugs. I use them when on my zero turn mower too. A bit pricey, and it would suck to lose them, but they work very well and are much more comfy than the foamies.

Did you get ones with built-in speakers?

• Premium Member
@johan - wish you had mentioned this before, Stu Mac coming on the trip to France has used some DIY custom stuff, including making custom ear buds to use with satnav & Android phone. Ping him on Facebook if you are interested but a bit late now, it seems :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
@johan - wish you had mentioned this before, Stu Mac coming on the trip to France has used some DIY custom stuff, including making custom ear buds to use with satnav & Android phone. Ping him on Facebook if you are interested but a bit late now, it seems :)
Thanks. Too late now, yes indeed. And I did mention it earlier in the week! But not to worry, I don't regret it (yet). I thought of upgrading my helmet and lots of people here have tried different screens. So far I haven't seen anyone claim they have found a quiet ride, either from a screen or a new helmet. So I think the earplugs will be the solution to me. The custom screen is good enough - I experience no buffeting. I noticed that both Puig and Givi have screens under development. Keep building your collection!

Archived